• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

She Sells Sanctuary, (tips please)

Started by rnolan, July 03, 2024, 05:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnolan

So the drummer really wants us to play She Sells Sanctuary (The Cult) so I thought I'd throw it out to you guys (particularly Harley (the master off fx and tones)), for suggestions.  Noting that we are one guitar (me - M-2, Midiverb 4)).

So it seems (and I haven't tried yet) the guitar has a bit of flange, chorus and delay (delay time suggestions welcome) and obviously some reverb on the whole thing.

I'm sure I can get close to a reasonable sound fairly easily but I'd like to do it justice (if you know what I mean).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

Richard,

I just gave the tune a listen and I'm picking up the same thing you're hearing, almost.

The delay seems to be a modulated delay which is why it almost sounds like a chorus effect. The fact that it's very subdued tells me it's delay modulation. The delay time seems to be in the 420-450ms range, and it's a ducked delay during the verse, then switches to a digital delay in between.

The flange in the bridge of the song has a decent amount of depth and a sweep rate in the range of .3 -.4.

As for the tone, I think a mild overdrive should do it with a bright sounding guitar.

By the way, there is only one guitar in the Cult
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

Hey Harley, great tips, thanks :wavingbanana: very helpful.  While there's only one guitar I think he's done a couple of tracks for the recording (how unusual LoL). We used to play Lil' Devil in a previous band where he played under the solo.
I'm going to experiment with getting our singer/keyboard player to play some of the note runs so I can chug under it, though it may not work as they are very "guitar" sounds. And while I've managed to get her to play some guitar(ish) like chords under some of my solos, chugging is not so easy on keys.

Interestingly, I have reverted to 3 or 4 sounds these days (simplify).  Time to open back up a bit and program some effects etc. like the old days.  I'd been contemplating having a flange patch so this gives that idea more impetus.  I had a nice one back in my MP-1 days.

Yeah I wondered if it was chorus but I think you are right, modulated delay makes sense and 420-450ms gives me a good starting point :thumb-up: .

BTW what's a ducked delay?

An old anecdote, apparently he was nominated for worst solo of the year (ages ago) for Wild Flower.  Which I thought was a bit unfair.

Harley Hexxe

Richard,

A ducked delay is one that ducks out of the mix when you are playing, and comes into the mix when you stop playing.

Yes, those settings are just a starting off point that should get you close. you can tweak to your liking.

Dante

Playing covers for over 25 years,  some songs just won't go away...this is one of them I'd never envisioned I'd be playing 20 years later

I've always just used a chorus and a quick delay that matches the tempo,  or works within the tempo

I don't get too caught up in matching the tone precisely,  just get it close enough for the drunks yelling Freebird after every song

Besides, is your singer REALLY emulating his inner Ian Astbury while playing that song? Probably not, but it's close enough for who it's for

BTW: I can manage a 2 hour set of U2 songs with only 4 delays.....not bragging, just pointing out that it doesn't take as much as you think sometimes

rnolan

Hey Dante, I hear you and I'll end up doing much the same I suspect (as I always do, pick out what's important).  But your & Harleys tips are handy (for me) as for the first time in quite a while I've decided to do a few patches with more (focused) Fx.  So a flange will be handy for a bunch of things, and Harleys delay ball parks are also a good place to start.

As you say our singer (a her) doesn't even know who Ian Astbury is (she's 23) but hopefully she can do a decent job (I have faith).

Personally I'd prefer to play Lil' Devil, but this one (which I quite like also) floats our drummers boat and he was remonstrating that none of his choices were making it into the set (you know how it is I suspect).  Hey it's not a particularly difficult song, I'll try to make him happy LoL.

Dante

It's very recognizable. A flange or chorus should work fine.

I like Wildflower, but nobody's ever heard it. Love playing it

Harley Hexxe

I used to play Wildflower with one of the bands I was in, that's a fun song to play.

rnolan

I've got a long history with Wild Flower.  It's the first Cult song I heard.  I went to see a young band playing at a youth centre, as I was walking up outside they were belting it out and I was hooked.  Ended up making a band with 3 of them (Debbie Does) and that was in the set.