• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Main Menu

Can anyone tell me what amp and delays used in this track ?

Started by Batsinthebelltower, September 13, 2024, 04:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batsinthebelltower

Hey guys

Can any of you help me findout what amps and delays are used on this track, particularly the lead sound and outro solos ?

You can hear the delay has that thick 80s sound, not a lot of high end , is it a lexicon PCM 70 possibly ??

Also anyone know what would be the typical reverb to use on a snare in that era ?

rnolan

Hey Bats, which track??

Back in the 80's reverse gate reverbs were the rage for snare, I used to use SPX90 to do that live.  But also Plate reverbs work well for drums. One studio I used to do stuff in had a real plate reverb as well as a LARC 224X, the grovy (expensive) Yamaha reverb but also a proper reverb room.  Lots of choices.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

I don't know which track we're talking about either, but gated reverb was very common in the 80's for snare drums. Reverse gated reverb was also something that was used for certain passages in songs popular in that era.

Large Hall reverbs were also used to give a mix some 'air' and a little more top-end sizzle.

Kick drums used a lot of compression and EQ with gated reverb to give it a deeper voice and underline the overall drum mix.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

I remember using a big reverse gated reverb for the snare drum parts in a U2 song called God Part II. I made the snare sounds with my muted strings and just let the reverb make the noise

I remember using a lot of gated reverb in the 80s-90s

Batsinthebelltower

Batsinthebelltower

Quote from: rnolan on September 13, 2024, 09:07:28 PMHey Bats, which track??

Back in the 80's reverse gate reverbs were the rage for snare, I used to use SPX90 to do that live.  But also Plate reverbs work well for drums. One studio I used to do stuff in had a real plate reverb as well as a LARC 224X, the grovy (expensive) Yamaha reverb but also a proper reverb room.  Lots of choices.

I just picked up a spx90 last week for this very purpose and havent tried a snare through it yet , ill report back ! Any more info on what settings you used ?

Batsinthebelltower

rnolan

Hey Bats, ah Vixen.  I think that's the first time I've heard them. It was an interesting time/era, big hair, big sounds etc.  I heard a few other bands around that time, but I was busy gigging.  We played some Poison (Nothing but a good time) and a bunch of Heart songs (off Brigade).

The guitar didn't sound overly processed to me.  I get a similar tone from my MP-2 with a little stereo delay (quite short 250ms) and room reverb. Although it's mostly from your fingers.

Gear wise I saw some Crate cabs (briefly) and Marshall Stacks (was that the bass rig?), although the guitar tone sounded like a rack preamp (to me).

Guitar looked like a Jackson? or a Shovel (Charvel), both popular back then.

I'll listen through decent speakers later and see (hear) what else I can guess.  It didn't sound like they did much to the snare Fx wise, but that's through laptop speakers...

I still have a patch or 2 in the PA rack SPX90, but I just got home from a gig, so when I set it up again (probably tomorrow) I'll go through the ones I have in it and post the settings for you.  I know it has a snare reverb I was using (with a 57 on Snare).  IIRC the SPX900 came out a little later than the SPX90 and it was a much better unit (and more expensive), it had better AD/DA but not (quire) as easy to use.

rnolan

Hey Bats, so what I hear on the snare is a gated reverb keeping it tight with the track (so you can go for a big reverb (i.e. dial in how much you want, big ness) but use the gate to cut it off and make it tight). So there's a good one of those in your SPX90.  Pretty standard for that era (and still works well).  It also works fine on toms etc. so you can send them all to the same Fx send you are using for snare.  Or you may just use that sound for snare, and send the toms to a different reverb (maybe an overall reverb for everything else that helps bring everything together..). It is important to keep the reverb time(s) in time with the track.  Remember the spaces/holes what everybody doesn't play-is more important than what you DO play.  That's what makes a band sound tight. Everyone does the same spaces (even if they are really short).

It depends what gear you have, I like to have vocal reverb/delay whatever, snare reverb (individual) gated works well, and overall reverb (a little for everything to bring it together).