• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

Is anyone willing to repair these ADA MP-1 ar MB-1 units?

Started by N8bailey, September 10, 2024, 02:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N8bailey

I have an MP-1 and 2 MB-1 pre amps needing repair (No sound) and several microtube 100 & 200 units where one of the channels is out. Can anybody help direct me to a repair tech for these? Happy to pay to get it done :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nathan
801-722-9319

Dante

Hi Nathan,

This is nothing new, there are not many folks out there are willing or able to do repairs on ADA gear. These are not simple tube amps and most 'amp repair' guys don't work on large PCBs with tiny parts and complicated schematics.

My MP-2 spent 6 months at a local shop. Finally, the 'amp repair' guy admitted he was in over his head and didn't know where to find parts for the unit. This is BS, I can find the parts, he was just afraid to try.

My MT-100 worked out of one channel forever, until just recently when I fixed it myself. Read about it here

We had a guy on the West Coast, in California, that was the 'authorized ADA repair tech' but then ADA disappeared again and I don't know if that guy is still around. I believe his name was Gene Brandt (maybe you can find him on FB?)

An ADA icon on this forum goes by the username MJMP. He can fix anything ADA, and understands way more about the operation of these units, but he is in Belgium and he recently had a health scare so he's laying low on doctor's orders. Do not rush or pressure him, he will probably stop by from time to time and impart his wisdom....that's all we can ask of him. He's been a saint over the years.

So, in short, there is not a dedicated person or place that can/will do repairs for you. If you find someone (especially in the US), please share that information here and let them know there is a place with folks that need that kind of help

rnolan

Hey Nathan, as Dante said, MJMP is the best guy to do it but you'll be up for expensive postage and also tax in/out of Belgium (where MJMP lives).  You can try to contact him via PM on here (MarshallJMP is his user name), or send him an email via his website MJMP

He did 2 MB-1s for me and they are now fantastic, they both have the MDRT replacement transformer (which he gets made) seems he has 25 of those in stock at the moment and they are a really worth while upgrade for the MB-1 (also the MP-1 but some prefer the original trany in MP-1).  If you are not in a rush and are prepared to spend what it costs (BTW MJMPs bit/work is very reasonable price wise), then that's the best way IMHO.  However, sending stuff around the world isn't cheap, last time I looked it was ~$130 USD each direction.

Based on what Dante did to fix his MT100, that you should be able to get done (or do yourself even) by any local (decent) tech.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

UPDATE: I found Brandt Audio & Acoustics

I don't know if he still does this stuff, but it's worth a shot. I sent him an email

Dante

He emailed me back, he no longer repairs things, he's retired 

Ah well, didn't hurt to ask

Kazinator

Quote from: Dante on September 10, 2024, 05:48:44 PMMy MP-2 spent 6 months at a local shop. Finally, the 'amp repair' guy admitted he was in over his head and didn't know where to find parts for the unit. This is BS, I can find the parts, he was just afraid to try.

Nope; he was secretly learning to play ... Wait, Wait, ... I never had a chance to fix it, if I only had the parts, I'd get it ... done on time! ** solo **

Dante

That thought did cross my mind.....maybe he likes it