• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Main Menu

MP-2 S/N 501251 from eBay for parts or repair

Started by Gregg, July 03, 2024, 08:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg

Quote from: Gregg on July 17, 2024, 11:45:41 AMMy plan was to write some code to exercise the RTM MIDI functions and anything else I couldn't find open source for. There are some libraries out there already that should make it easy to write a test suite for Linux / a Raspberry Pi from what I saw.

This was super easy with Ubuntu, Alsa Project Software, and a Roland UM-ONE mk2 from Amazon.  A cheaper adapter would probably do just fine, but wanted to get something that was a known quantity to start out with here.

Was able to use the amidi(1) command to send program change messages, receive program change messages (panel mode), and receive patches from the MP-2.  More than enough to verify that the physical MIDI interface is functional.  Probably no need to code up RTM MIDI messages, but would be very easy and perhaps an interesting learning exercise if I want to know more about the guts of MIDI.

Only problem I had was being a bonehead by accidentally plugging the adapter into MIDI THRU instead of MIDI IN.

Gregg

rnolan

Quote from: Gregg on July 21, 2024, 01:57:21 PMOnly problem I had was being a bonehead by accidentally plugging the adapter into MIDI THRU instead of MIDI IN.
Hey Gregg, Doh LoL.  Although you could test the midi through for midi mapping assurance.  2 Main use cases come to mind:
1. MP-2 changes to desired (mapped) program on input e.g. receives patch 20 on midi in, but goes to program 67 (or whatever you set in the midi mapping table).
2. Patch # sent out on midi out is what was set in midi mapping table e.g. MP-2 goes to patch 45 but outputs 15 (for connected device).  This case is handy if you want a bunch of MP-2 patches to have the same Fx.  e.g. Currently I use the same program in my Midiveb4 (short stereo delay + room reverb) for all the patches I'm using.  I map them on the Midverb4 mapping table, but I could equally have mapped them in the MP-2 and used midi out rather than (currently midi through).
Just for your understanding (as you don't play or use a MP-2 live etc.) how you set this stuff up depends on your setup.  If (like my current live rig) you only use one midi Fx device, you can do it either way (it was easier for me to do it in the midiverb4).  If you add more midi devices (like say Harley has in his "big" rig), you need to plan what sends what to what, when.  Moreover, not all midi Fx devices support mapping (though most do).  So you might send (via midi out) a # to one unit, but send the through (unchanged program change command) to another (or more) unit(s).

Buying the Roland USB interface (whilst a bit more expensive) was IMHO sensible (and I had tested it hence the recommendation).  A friend bought a cheap one and regretted it and then bought a better one.  I bought the Roland one because the music store had it, and, while I've never been enamoured with the "sound" of Roland stuff, I've always been ok about their quality and reliability.  And obviously there is nothing about a midi adapter that involves audio quality.  It was more than I expected to pay, but it worked seamlessly and seems reasonably well built.  Moreover, I didn't really need a USB adapter, I could use my PreSonus I/O, but this lets me take it across the room (or elsewhere) to other MP-2's with a laptop attached.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few