ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Speaker day  (Read 1279 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
New Speaker day
« on: Time Format »

So I finally pulled the trigger on some Lorantz speakers https://www.lorantz.com.au/loudspeaker-products/loud-speakers/12-inch-guitar/ac304u100-mi-12-inch-guitar/  I've been thinking about it for a few years now.... (spec sheet attached).  I have an old 2 x 12" cab that used to have Fender Twin Eminence 12"s in it.  The guy I got it from used to use it on top of a 15" cab for his bass rig.  I used to use it for miked up supports or smaller gigs.  I used this cab (open air in the back yard of the drummers house) when I set my (currant but old ~1980ish)) record where my friends could here me 13 Kms away (around 9 miles) clear as a bell and came to the party I was playing at  >:D .  Amp was my '73 Marshall 50 (no power soak needed that night  ;) ). 

So a friend put a bit of ply down the center of the cab for me.  With my MP-1 rig I had it wired stereo.  I wanted the separator to reduce phase cancellations. Obviously it's not as good as 2 separate cabs spread well apart for that lovely ADA stereo sonic experience, but it does ok and these days, I want less to lug and fit in the boot (if possible) (I think some of you guys call it a trunk?). 

So the cab has been restored by my friend (pics to come Dante  ;) ).  He wasn't happy just just installing the separator, he also cleaned up all the damaged/rounded corners etc. that many gigs brings to chipboard LoL, painted it and installed the 4 pin SpeaKon socket.   

The speakers came this week  :whoohoo!: I just have to screw then in and wire them up  :headbanger:   

BTW one of Loranzt's claims to fame is they make a Green Back clone that allegedly is as close as you'll get to the original's freq curve.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: New Speaker day
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Cool! Can't wait for pix

I hated running stereo in a cab without a wall - not so stereo really. It was definitely better with the wall, but whoo-boy, it was heavy. I used a Carvin 4x12, the one with the wavy logo. One heavy MF'er

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I have a single ADA slant split stack I wired stereo ages ago and it gets quite flangey (albeit convenient).  I was thinking about how to put a separator in it, but as it's a sealed cab you have to go in through the speaker opening, tricky...  When I used to use this 2 x 12, it wasn't so bad as it has 2 quite large openings in the back, so not quite open back, more semi open.  When I selected the speakers I was in a quandary whether to get the 75w or 100w.  The 100w (which I went with) are 3kgs overall heavier as they have larger magnets.  And I wanted to keep the cab a light as possible.  In the end the 100w maps better to the amps I'll run it with (B200s, DCM200L and TS100).

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I'll chime in here for what it's worth,

All my experiences with "stereo" cabs really left me unimpressed. I've come to believe that no matter how well a cab is isolated from one speaker to another, at three feet away, you can't tell any difference from a mono cab with the exception that it sounds a bit weaker. That's why I go with separate cabs, or combo amps, and I separate them by a fair distance. The Physics just doesn't let you get away with anything else.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, salient point my friend. Back in my MP-1 days I used a Yamaha Quad box with some cardboard gaphed down the center for bigger gigs and this 2 x12 wired stereo for smaller setups.  They both sounded better than mono.  Then I bought 2 x ADA split stacks loaded with Boogie Celestion 90w (as they were the only 8ohm speakers the store had in stock and I wanted the cabs 4 ohms to match with the ADA B200s).  Then I could separate them etc.  And that was better (as you say).  But now I don't want to lug so much stuff  :facepalm: .  I didn't find either setup weaker and they both sounded fine.  And the new ADA split stacks sounded even better (and as you say I could spread them more), but the boogie Celestions' are quite mid rangy like all things boogie (at the time). 

Anyway, I've managed to find a mob in Brisbane (SpeakerBug) that have the 5.2mm spade connectors (which is what the Lorantz need), and I ordered 4m x 50cm of wadding  and also some 4.7mm spade connectors to connect to the 4 pin Speakon socket (which are 3/16" = 4.78mm).  I could solder these connections but using spades is tidier.  I may have to file the Speakon lugs to make the 4.7 spades work  :dunno: .  So when that arrives, I'll use some 2 sided tape (or maybe a staple gun) and line the insides of the cab with the wadding and hear what it sounds like.  I'll rear mount the speakers (as they were originally).  Also, as the pics I'll take will show, each side is facing away from center.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Richard,

I suppose it's really about how you want to use your stereo application. Stereo guitar was good for me for a lot of years, but after going W/D/W, I just find that lacking anymore.

Even though W/D/W is not completely wet in the stereo channels, the dry center channel just adds so much dimension that wasn't there before. I only use the stereo for the stereo effects, and bypass them with an A/B/Y switch when I don't want effects. Sure, it's more gear, but it's so worth it!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I hear you.  When I did the latest test recordings with the band, one channel wasn't working (really, really low level).  I've fixed it now, seem to be a dirty jack problem.  But the track had one channel and no Fx.  When I overdubbed another stereo guitar track including a separate stereo fx track, I found I preferred the mono no FX track in the center with the others L & R.  As you say, it added dimension but also articulation and presence in the mix.  Made me rethink recording guitar tracks.  If you listen to the first post here https://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=3019.0, Stumblin', The first half of the solo is mono, panned center with no Fx (the original live take).  I replaced the 2nd half because it had mistakes with stereo + Fx.  And I prefer the first half sonically, hence my rethink which is a bit similar to your approach.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

So my bits from SpeakerBug https://speakerbug.com.au/index.php?route=common/home finally arrived today,  :whoohoo!: , speaker connection spades (really nice gold plated ones and 5.2mm, just right for the Lorantz 12s) and 4m x 50cm wadding (plenty).  So now to assemble, Dante, I'll take pics as I do it.  Probably this weekend.  The bit I'm not sure of yet is if the other 4.7mm spades I got will fit on the female SpeakOn socket lugs.  The lugs are 3/16" = 4.78mm so I may need to file 0.04mm of each side of the lugs or inside the spades  :dunno: , or if that proves too hard I'll just solder that end.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

:postpics:

Sorry, couldn't resist

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Some pics

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

And more

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Pretty cool Richard,

Are you going to use kick plates on the front or grill cloth?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, very good question (which I've been perplexing/pontificating about).  I like the open front look, and that's how I've always used this box in the past.  However, it did take a falling guitar peg head into one of the previous speakers  :facepalm: , needed a re-cone. By kick plate, do you mean something that just covers the speakers?  My current thoughts have been using metal speaker grate (like on the ADA slant split or the Messa P112s).  Ideally, it would have 1" spacers and follow the v contour, so sit an inch off the speakers but you can still see them.  Speaker grill cloth would probably be easier, but then you don't see the speakers  :dunno: .  I also toyed with the idea of covering the back holes with the wadding, but in the end didn't.  I just did all the parallel surfaces to minimise standing waves.  I did however use the 4.7mm spade connectors to connect to the 4 pin Speakon socket, rather than solder the cables directly to it. 

So after all that, I plugged it in with my new(ish) 4RU live rack and gave it a whirl (11pm here so not too loud, tomorrow  >:D ).  Been a while since I had "new" speakers (and I've been wanting to try these Lorantz speakers for a long while)... So first impressions (albeit they are still tight and need burning in), very tight bottom end, and probably most notably, a really nice distinct presence, they will cut nicely through the mix.  Very clear and articulate sounding, but warm (which I expect will get better as they settle).  Stereo Fx sounded good, the separator plate in the middle was a good addition.  It's not quite as good as spreading 2 separate cabs, but works well and sounds better (warmer, richer etc.) than mono
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Richard,

Kick plates are 12" metal grates with a rubber strip around the diameter, and mount with 4 clamps to the baffle. It's sort of like the grates ADA used but they can mount to the speaker flange, or to the baffle. You'll still see the speakers, but they will be closer to the cone. They are pretty stout, so your speakers will be protected.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I used that loose metal grate for my cabs, like the grates on your Mesa cabs in the background. I put a 1x1" piece of wood around the outside edge and simply ran screws into that to hold the grates on.  :thumb-up:

I'll see if I can find a pic of what I'm talking about. They end up looking just like your Boogie cabs. Or, you can get the round covers as Harley says, those work great too. Lots of car stereo guys use them for their giant Subs.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up