ADA Preamps > MP-2

MP-2 Front membrane Ribbon cable issue

(1/2) > >>

rnolan:
I gave my Friend MikeB one of my MP-2s.  Unfortunately, it had developed intermittent issues booting up which was being caused (I subsequently discovered) by the connection or lack there of, of the main ribbon cable which connects the front panel membrane switches etc. to the PCB.  The PCB end of the cable was a bit ratty, I tried cleaning the (very thin) connections but the socket was also not providing a firm connection.  So today he managed to fix it (well sort of).  He used a razor blade to expose some fresh wire (more like a trace in these ribbon cables) and inserted some wooden scewers to get a better connection to the socket and viola, it's working again  :whoohoo!: .  So next is to change the socket, not hard to source I suspect.  Judging by how clear the display is in the photo, it's one I replaced years ago when I bought it from a member in Sydney.  It's easy to displace the main cable when changing the display as the display cable runs through/under the ribbon cable so take care if you do replace a MP-2 display (which do dim over time).

Dante:
Richard,

I am facing something like this.....I was playing my MP-2 and it was working fine until the display started shooting wonky weird characters. The unit was still working fine, but I couldn't edit any patches or even see which patch I was on because the display was really acting up.

Now, this is a blue display, aftermarket. I still have the stock one.

I opened up the MP-2 and immediately see one of the wires from the ribbon cable is loose. I connect it by hand and the display is instantly twice as bright, so that must be a wire for the backlight, or at least half of it. Either way, that cable looks bad, it's just the display cable tho. Probably not the one you're talking about.

I will try the old stock display soon,  but I'm no hurry...I'll follow up with what i find

rnolan:
Hey Dante, good you fixed it  :thumb-up: .  I'm just trying to remember (as it was ages ago I changed out a couple of displays, was there one wire that need to be soldered?

Gregg:
Interesting fix.  I noticed the v1.41 firmware in the MP-2.  If you do source a new socket, please post the part number for it.

I am still fighting with one of my brother's MP-2s.  It is a real challenge.

Gregg

rnolan:
Hey Gregg, and many thanks for the 1.41 EPROM  :thumb-up: albeit MikeB busted a leg removing the one he had etc...  IIRC MJMP said the PCB socket is the same as in the MP1, though I don't know the part number.  I think it's a pretty standard item  :dunno: .  If we find out how to source one I'll definitely let you know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version