ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I’m back!  (Read 2660 times)

VoxG2

I’m back!
« on: Time Format »

After a nearly 2 year experiment into the digital realm, which included selling my MP-1, I have purchased an original MP-1 and am excited for it’s return! I still have my Kemper Stage Profiler, and Helix Native, which both do many amazing things the ADA does not do, however, what the ADA MP-1 does, the Helix and Kemp WILL NOT DO. I don’t care what the modelers and profilers tell you, and what the YouTube videos show you…it’s an illusion! The MP-1 is warm and open and clean and chorusy and beautiful. NOTHING can match the MP-1 in the category that it’s in. I played several digital items through the EXACT stereo tube powered rig I did the ADA…not even close. See y’all on the front lines!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: I’m back!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I suppose everything has it's place.

The modeler's are probably okay to go gig with instead of hauling a refrigerator sized rack around with a few stacks. It'll definitely save on wear and tear on your rack gear and your body as well.
     Besides, after all these years, ADA gear isn't really that road worthy anymore, and it's getting harder to find parts to repair it, let alone techs who would be willing to do it right. I'd rather not fuss with all that myself.
     Just my 0.02cents

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Welcome back man, I feel you. Harley - I feel that too, I am very reluctant to bring my rack stuff anywhere.

I played a crawdad festival & there was another band there - the guy played a Kemper. I told him my Classic was gonna take his lunch money and kick sand in his face (haha) and I was right. His Tele clean tones were amazing tho, so there's that.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Welcome back  :thumb-up: , my live rack is still what I use. MP-2, Quadverb, MB-1 (if I need to play bass), Midverb4 (don't really use it), Carvin DCM200L, 8 input, 3 send Yamaha AM802 Mixer (velcroed to the bottom of the rack).  And generally I use a single slant split stack wired stereo.  All still going strong.
I'm still trying to get one of my 2 MP-1s working (doesn't seem to accept midi  :dunno: ) which I may swap out the MB-1 for if I can get it to work.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

VoxG2

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

"I told him my Classic was gonna take his lunch money and kick sand in his face (haha) and I was right." Heck yes you were right!! Thanks for the welcome back y'all!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Well Gents it's like this...

The rack gear most of us have has already been on the road quite a bit and it's taken it's beating. The real question is: How much more can it take before it's beyond repair? I have plenty of ADA gear that I need to get to a repair shop or get into it with a soldering iron myself, (if I can handle it).

With the Fender amps I have, I can take them out to gigs and they seem to be pretty robust. Plus, they offer me the flexibility to shape my sounds any way I want them with relatively little fuss. I have to admit they are a lot more compact to haul around then my rack gear. I'm still fussing around with the Cyber-Twin's editing, but eventually, I'll get it down to where I might only have one combo to take to a gig, and have all the sounds I want in it, which would be cool.

@ Richard: You just proved my point with your MP-1's. Obviously, they are in need of some repair, just like some of my gear. Sure, I could take my MP-2 rig out like before, but do I want to? Most places here are downsizing amps to around 20-30 watts, so even my Cyber-Deluxe rig is way more powerful than what is becoming acceptable out there. Fortunately for me, I'm not afraid to turn down the Master volume and tweak the edits to sound better at lower volume levels.

This is why I'm currently building pedal boards that can be used through any good sounding amps, regardless of power rating, but can also be just as good sounding going amp-less if need be.

Harley 8)

VoxG2

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

What kind of issues are being reported as far as ADAs breaking down?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

With the Original MP-1's, one of the most common issues is the instrument, and sometimes output jacks breaking. The original jacks aren't made anymore for a long time so modified replacements are necessary.

Pretty much all of them need cap jobs by now, I know mine would benefit from it.

There have been other issues involving weird noises developing, and audio drop outs, as well as occasional MIDI issues.

You can read about a lot of the issues here on the Forum. Thank the stars for MJMP :thumb-up:

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I hear you.  My MP-2 I bought new and it's still going well (fingers crossed).  I got to a point were I started to worry about longevity, exacerbated by thoughts of what was around I could replace it with.  Unfortunately, nothing has come along that gets close to it so I bought a few spare MP-2s (I have four now).  The MP-1s I picked up knowing 1 didn't work (well it did for a few minutes IIRC).  My original MP-1 went to MikeB ages ago so I could buy the MP-2.  It's still going well but he's done quite a bit of refreshing it.  I'd been trying to get a tech friend interested enough to help out ADAers in Australia, but he's too busy with his standard stuff.  He did some work on the 2 I bought but they need some more.  It hasn't been a priority as I don't play much anymore and my live MP-2 rig is still fine.  At some point I'll send them to MJMP for a complete going over.  My 2 MB-1s went from US via MJMP in Belgium then to me.  They are both in great nick now.

@VoxG2, as Harley says there are plenty of posts re keeping MP-1s going.  Apart from the jacks, caps are old and need replacing.  However, as MikeB did with my old MP-1, you can refresh them.

VoxG2

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey thank y’all for the info! I think I’ll rack mine and handle with kid gloves.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

Maybe you can get this MP-1 up to speed there in Australia.

Try contacting Johnny's Artifactory out of Anarchy Audio in Perth. He might be able to help out.

http://anarchyaudioaustralia.com

Good luck!

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Thanks Harley  :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

...Most places here are downsizing amps to around 20-30 watts, so even my Cyber-Deluxe rig is way more powerful than what is becoming acceptable out there. Fortunately for me, I'm not afraid to turn down the Master volume and tweak the edits to sound better at lower volume levels.

That works in this town too. I saw a very successful local cover band (they have a full horn section, 3 lead singers...big BIG outfit) and the guitar player was using a 1x10 Peavey direct into the board. The amp was his monitor and pointed at him. Yes, he had other things (I think a line6 or Fractal footboard) plugged into it, but the amp was small

My lil' Peavey Classic 20mh is pretty dang awesome and I can get sounds quickly with those chicken head knobs...it's a very responsive EQ

The 'turning down the master' works with my (50w H&K) combo, kinda. I don't have the same feel in the tones as I do with the little underpowered amp all cranked up. The (overpowered) combo is choked, and feels more dull. The cranked (underpowered)  head is a snarling beast and I have to turn my volume knob down a bit on my guitar to tame it. The lil amp still keeps up with a drummer, but doesn't really blow out your ears like my combo will. But, I like the widebody combo, it's programmable, and sounds big...like my Boogie did....fills the room.

A Twin, well that's just a ridiculous amount of volume. If you turn it up past 6, birds fall out of the sky. Fender amps. Stupid loud—never a lack of headroom. I had a Tweed 2x12 Blues Deluxe that made a nice piece of furniture, but was unusable at home. That had to stay at the practice facility.

VoxG2

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I guess the 90s are truly over. I remember the '90s guys driving every soundman crazy with their cranked up amps the '80s sound men always told us turn your volume as low as you can and get your preamp gain all the way up. always thought it sounded horrible and cheesy like that. The ADA sounds great at any level.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante,

Let me see if I have this straight. You're saying you get a bigger sound from your 1X12" combo, than you do with your 2X12 piggy-back 20 Watt tube amp? That's an open back cab if I recall correctly. Try taping a sheet of corrugated cardboard to the inside of the back panel and see what you get.

When I'm working with the Cyber Deluxe, and I feel like the program I'm trying to tweak is losing the life in it, or getting dull as you describe, I start over with a fresh program and try to build one from the ground up at the volume I intend to use it at. That usually works for me. Building in the Cyber Deluxe is a lot easier than the Cyber Twin. I'm sure the Twin can sound just as good if I spend enough time with it. There's a much steeper learning curve with that amp as far as editing goes because there's a lot of deep menu diving involved in that amp. If I were to compare the Fenders to ADA, the Cyber Twin would be like editing in the MP-2, whereas the Cyber Deluxe is a lot more like editing in the MP-1 or MP-1 Classic.

Using the volume knob on the guitar is something I've been doing a lot, and it should work with any good amp that way. I don't run my amps at ridiculous loud volumes anyway. I like to hear the guitar blended with the rest of the band, I guess I'm kind of weird that way. But I'm not opposed to boosting it for a solo, I like to hear that with enough presence to sit in the mix like it should. I've never had the Master on the Cyber Deluxe up past 5, that gives me just about what I need with a band to cover the lead tones with the guitar volume rolled up.

Just sayin'

Harley 8)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up