ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roland GP8 MIDI  (Read 2147 times)

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
Roland GP8 MIDI
« on: Time Format »

I just got a GP8 from lovely lady for Xmas and have begun programming in patches.  I went today to set up the MIDI, but the damn thing is doing all kinds of weird things.  See below:

#1 on X15 footswitch = #11 on GP8
#11 on X15 footswitch = #23 on GP8
#21 on X15 footswitch = #35 on GP8

There's some kind of exponential math equation at play and I'm afraid there's no way to program in MIDI like with any other processor of the era, so I'm stuck with this.  Anyone have any rhyme or reason for why this is?
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Roland GP8 MIDI
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Chip, you need to read the manual (http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GP-8_OM.pdf), page 27 has a table that shows you the mapping of external midi patch numbers to the way the GP8 stores it's patches i.e. Group (A or B), Bank (1 to 8) and Number (1 to 8).  So sending it (as you did) midi patch #21 = Group A, Bank 3, Number 5 so on the GP8 you see the Group A light on, and 35 in the display.  So sending it midi patch #125 = B, 8, 5 etc.
Also it says to change the memory battery every 5 years so, depending how old it is, you may want to do that before you do too much programming  :dunno: .  It does have midi dump/load capability so you can back up your patches, changing out the battery erases all user presets (like the ADA units).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Oh wowww, that still makes zero sense within the context of every other processor made at the time, but at least I can see how they sort of correspond.  I suppose the intent that Roland had when they made these was to use it as a standalone preamp/effects unit and control everything via the proprietary footswitch, but I'm using the 4 cable method with the MP1's loop.

Thanks for the explanation, rnolan.  It's not that big of a deal that I have to make identical patches spread all across my GP8...
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

You could Midi-map what you need to where you need it

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Chip, I think you are right about Rolands intent with their foot switch.  In the end it's just a different way of dividing up the 1 - 128 albeit a bit confusing when, as you say, most gear does it in a more straight forward way. Dante's idea is a good approach.  If you drive the GP8 midi in from the MP-1 midi out (not through), then you can map (in the MP-1) what the GP8 gets from the MP-1.  I.e. for any given MP-1 patch, send out what ever you want to the GP8, it can be the same GP8 patch for a bunch of MP-1 patches or a different one.  This way you can re-use the GP8 patches for a number of MP-1 patches and not have to copy the GP8 patches to a bunch of locations, just map them.  Remember to reset the MP-1 to 1 to 1 mapping before you start (in case it's ever been changed before).

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

At first, I thought that was why he was getting weird numbers...like it was midi mapping. Then, after Chip explained it being laid out differently...AH! The lights went on.

My Switchblade combo has 32 banks of 4 patches = 128. I use my MXC footswitch and have them organized in 12 banks of 10, and I don't pay attention to what number the amp thinks it's on :)

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Chip, I think you are right about Rolands intent with their foot switch.  In the end it's just a different way of dividing up the 1 - 128 albeit a bit confusing when, as you say, most gear does it in a more straight forward way. Dante's idea is a good approach.  If you drive the GP8 midi in from the MP-1 midi out (not through), then you can map (in the MP-1) what the GP8 gets from the MP-1.  I.e. for any given MP-1 patch, send out what ever you want to the GP8, it can be the same GP8 patch for a bunch of MP-1 patches or a different one.  This way you can re-use the GP8 patches for a number of MP-1 patches and not have to copy the GP8 patches to a bunch of locations, just map them.  Remember to reset the MP-1 to 1 to 1 mapping before you start (in case it's ever been changed before).

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean?  I'm not sure I'm following.  The MP1 is usually first in my MIDI chain and it's going thru right now.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Chip, So what you can do with the MP-1 is map an external prog change number to any MP-1 internal patch.  E.g. press 25 on your foot controller and map that to any MP-1 internal prog/patch say 42.  When you do that mapping, change 25 is sent out the MP-1 midi thru but 42 is sent out the MP-1 midi out and the MP-1 selects patch 42.  However, in your situation it may not be particularly helpful. What would be better would be if the GP8 could perform mapping, but it doesn't (as far as I can tell).  The way I use mapping is by mapping the FX device(s). So in my Quadverb, I map a bunch of MP-2 programs to the same QV patch (which is slight stereo delay and reverb) so I apply this Fx to most MP-2 patches where I don't need/want any other Fx.  The QV (and many other rack Fx) have the same midi mapping feature as the MP-1/2 so they (fx) stay at the same patch when I change MP-1/2 patches.
There are some things you could possibly do with the X15, e.g. in Effects mode make the various buttons change things in the GP8 (turning fx or various parameters on/off).  Other foot controllers (e.g. the behringer FCB1010) can do lots more, like for any given switch, you can send a bunch of different commands on different midi channels.
For what you have, it may be best to copy the same fx patches to the various GP8 locations you need them (as was your initial approach).

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

That's pretty much what I've done with my other processors, but yes, the GP8 doesn't allow MIDI mapping.  6 analog effects, 2 digital, continuous control via proprietary pedal, no MIDI mapping.

Wrap your head around that. :facepalm:
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Chip, well it is what it is...  seems Rolands idea was to give you 1 gadget that replaces your pedal board (if you use that kind of set up, and it seems many people do).

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

It seems the best way is to use the midi mapping of the mp-1 like RNolan suggested, should give you the same result.
Pages: [1]   Go Up