ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New midi pedal and patchbay  (Read 2273 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
New midi pedal and patchbay
« on: Time Format »

In 2018 I had to make a thesis for the bachelor in embedded systems I was doing, so I asked the other guitarist in the band to file a project for me at my school. He has his own company and I needed to make the thesis for a company so he filed a project which involved a midi pedal and switcher. So I jumped on it  ;D
I finished it in july 2019, explained it all for the jury and was rewarded a 17/20. Since then it has been on my pedal board and in my rack and it working fine. So maybe it's time to do a show off.  8)

My intention was to make some sort of upgraded version of the MXC pedal and the patchmate, get rid of all the things that annoyed me and put some things in I missed.
I wanted to make it as simple as possible both electronically as operation.

Starting with the MXC, I got rid of the quad switches and build these inside the pedal, made the editing so I can do changes on the fly, no more 9+... to alter things. I use a edit button in stead now, push it for 2 seconds and you are in edit mode, all can be done with your feet now. Also put the edit info on the pedal so no need to search for that damn manual. Got rid of the delay filter and pedal switch range and added a display test and you can also program the display intensity. Altered the pot range setting so you don't need to sweep it but set it to minimum and store, maximum and store. I always felt the the sweep didn't work correctly. It also has 2 inputs for sweep pedals. And last it does have a 7 pin midi connector to allow phantom power but it also has a DC jack for power. It does midi program and control change, fully programmable.

Electronic wise it kept it to a bare minimum, a pic µcontroller running at 32MHz (8MHz crystal with a internal PLL inside the pic to bump it up to 32 MHz) an I/O expander (SPI bus) and a few connectors,resistors,caps, crystal and a 7805. It has a 8 digit LED display also on a SPI bus. I also kept a space for some external memory, maybe I install a alpha numeric display so you can put some names in it and display these. The pcb is 11 x 7.5 cm.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: New midi pedal and patchbay
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

The midi controlled patchbay, although the patchmate was good there were also things that annoyed me, first the relais are a bit noisy when they switch, nothing really bad but still, operation is quite complex. So I started out with better relais, smaller and more quiet and the operation is far less complex. On the front you will see two rotary encoders with a push button integrated , and LCD and eight push buttons with led's inside the button. On the back you have eight mono/stereo loops, dual mono out, a midi in and two midi thru outputs so you can devide the midi signal if you have multiple midi racks. Unit has midi control and program change and is fully programmable.
I also have build in a few power supplies for my racks that use external adapters and the phantom power for the midi pedal (7 pin din).
Operation is very easy, push one or more of the eight pushbuttons that correspondent with one of the eight loops, select the program number with the right encoder and push it, and it will be saved under that program number. Each loop can also be controlled by a midi control change number (can be programmed to any number) . You can set the midi channel and it also has a build in midi monitor (like the MP-2 has). Menu can be accessed with the left encoder, only 4 menus, working menu, set midi channel, set midi control change number  and the the midi monitor.

Electronics, also quite simple, again a 8 bit pic µcontroller at 32MHz, optocoupler, 7805 and 7806 74HCT14 buffers, ULN2803 driver (relais), 16 relais, LCD, caps resistors, stacked jacks and a few transformers (toroid). All relais and Ic's in sockets for easy maintenance. All interconnects with flat cables.

All programming done in C pro for pic. PCB's made in Autodesk Eagle.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Those are both really nice you should market those!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks Bunkylo but it's too much work to make them by hand, I could go to a factory but you need to build at least a few hundred to keep the cost low. The electronics is not a problem, it's the mechanical stuff like the rack and case and front panel of the midi pedal.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

This is amazing work!  I wish I had those skill you have.  Really superb stuff MJMP.  :thumb-up:

A really good useful project to have worked on.

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Thanks Gerry.

That's why I asked our guitar player, didn't want to do some lame work for some company. I rather work for myself and make something I can use.  8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, very nice  :thumb-up: .  As RG says, I wish I had those skills also.  Maybe I'll do some courses so I can turn my ideas into reality like you have.  Have you ever thought of building a MP3 thingy? maybe combine the audio guts of the MP1, Classic and MP2 with modern digital switching  :dunno: .  I dream of doing something like that....
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Thanks Gerry.

That's why I asked our guitar player, didn't want to do some lame work for some company. I rather work for myself and make something I can use.  8)

Of course, totally get that.  Just amazing to be able to just make something so professional and functional.

Now I am thinking of the Patchmate btw but I have seen the prices for both old and new version and that concerns me.  Is their an any alternatives?  I also consider it to be a very expensive luxury as I really don't know how often I will switch preamps.  I usually play one for a few months then switch.  Not like I switch all the time.  The Rocktron does seem very good and those older models seem like they are super collectible.  Can't believe there aren't more of these type of things.  I have saw one or two other things like the patchmate but also insanely expensive for what they are.  :facepalm:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I agree they are expensive. I picked mine up on ebay with a ADA MC-1 all power supplies for 150 USD I got very lucky I just made an offer and he accepted.
Rocktron is high quality stuff seems to really hold up well and again it is sort of a luxury item but I know of no other alternatives.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I agree they are expensive. I picked mine up on ebay with a ADA MC-1 all power supplies for 150 USD I got very lucky I just made an offer and he accepted.
Rocktron is high quality stuff seems to really hold up well and again it is sort of a luxury item but I know of no other alternatives.

It's absolute shit that music gear manufacturer's do this.  It's bullshit.  I can't afford one I don't think.  For the price you paid I'd consider that as $150 is £121 and that's acceptable.  What would be perfect would be if there was one of those loop pedals I see going on ebay for real cheap (hand made ones true bypass etc) but in rack form.  That would be perfect.

I'm looking at a patch as they're way cheaper.  I just need to figure out if I can use one or not.  Tutorials so far have blown my mind a bit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up