ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Conditioners  (Read 72370 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Power Conditioners
« Reply #120 on: Time Format »

I think you have to do it with trial and error, use different places to put it i and see what gives the best results.

Why we don't need, well that's easy we have a Furmann  :lol: Nah just kidding. I also have a slight hum in my signal but not nearly as bad as you have. If it works out for you I might buy one of these too to check out.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #121 on: Time Format »

does your noise gate shut off the hum?  It's weird you only have slight hum when you probably have a lot more grounds than I do.

Tell me, when Furman say "Isolated Banks - Isolated outlet banks minimize inter-component interference and noise contamination."

isn't that supposed to protect from ground looping?  Or am I all wrong with this?  Isolated power supply sounds to me like safe ground lifts so there will not be loops with all the other items linked to the PC.  I could be wrong.

Yeah I figured if the Art Clean box doesn't work out for me, hey what the hell, it was a 4.27 gamble.  It gets good reviews, I just have not read about it being used with rack gear is my only worry.

edit:

Some more things, I found a thread where some guy says buy super expensive hum eliminator

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/9239/art-cleanbox-hum-eliminator/
he recommends this
http://www.radialeng.com/twiniso.php

I personally don't think it could be worth it.

I also found the reviews for this Behringer hum box thing and from the sounds of it people use it in similar setups to my own, so this holds promise for me using the Art Clean Box II
http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_microhd_hd400.htm

The reviews for this seem quite good also, but as soon as you start hearing someone saying "no you need to spend much more money or your sound will sound like shit" you start having doubts.

Opinions welcome on this guys.  If I don't notice signal degradation them I wont give a toss.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #122 on: Time Format »

Yes the noise gate has no problem with it.

Problem with ground loops is that no 2 problems are the same. Like in my rack some units are isolated from the rack and some are not. It took me some time to get it like it is now. And I got it like this with trial and error.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #123 on: Time Format »

Your thoughts on any of the above?

How come you might get an Art Clean box if it works for me when you have the issue solved with noise gate?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #124 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I used that Beringer hd400 hum box a few years back. It was silver then but it did clean up the loop on my DSL40C. It wasn't perfect but did quiet it down enough to live with. Especially for the price.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #125 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I used that Beringer hd400 hum box a few years back. It was silver then but it did clean up the loop on my DSL40C. It wasn't perfect but did quiet it down enough to live with. Especially for the price.

wow that's cool man, so you risked it on the cheap ass behringer and it worked.  So how come you don't need it now?

I knew this info really in the article below, but having just read this, it has now terrified me.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-what-ground-earth-loop

had I not lifted the ground on my peavey rockmaster though I would never have found out for sure that I had a butt ugly earth loop.  It also scares me that the MP1 I first bought had the earth wire detached, I think I left it that way also, it's on some post on here somewhere when I was talking about the weird plug it had wired to it.  Anyways gimme the earth connection anyday over dying!

Why doesn't my boss GT5 have an earth pin guys? below, this is the way Boss GT fx pedals mains plugs are in the UK.  They are simply two prong plugs plugged into adapters, just like this

http://www.onestopbatteryshop.co.uk/product/598426/MX429822/European-to-UK-plug-adaptor---BLACK

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #126 on: Time Format »

Also are you sure you have a good ground connection in the wall plugs? Could be it's not grounded at all.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #127 on: Time Format »

I was running a POD HD500 4 cable method with a Marshall DSL40C. I ended up selling that set up and going back to an all rack set up. So I didn't need the beringer any more, think I sold that too. I have never been a fan of beringer equipment but that box did the trick for me.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #128 on: Time Format »

Also are you sure you have a good ground connection in the wall plugs? Could be it's not grounded at all.
What you mean?  The sockets in my rehearsal room?  They are for sure grounded.

Surely disconnecting the earth wire on the peavey and noise getting reduced 70% is a sign that the wall sockets are grounded which is why I am getting hum in the recordings I posted? If there was no ground in the wall sockets disconnecting the peaveys earth on it's mains plugs would have no effect at all as it wouldn't be grounded in the first place?

Also we'd have died years ago.  Also touching guitar strings reduces usual noises from, unshielded guitars (I have a few I have not done yet) so I must be grounded.

I was running a POD HD500 4 cable method with a Marshall DSL40C. I ended up selling that set up and going back to an all rack set up. So I didn't need the beringer any more, think I sold that too. I have never been a fan of beringer equipment but that box did the trick for me.

I actually have quite a few Behringer products and I really don't mind them.  From mixers to stomp boxes, di's to rack compressors, I honestly think they're decent, some things have build quality is lacking in some products but others don't.

So you did four cable method also and had a ground loop?  Well that's that then, I guess it's a common issues with 4 cable method.  It also makes sense since I'm at least connected to two grounds via the Rockmaster and my power conditioner and when I take one away the hum goes away.

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #129 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, here is a pic of french electric plug ; 1 pin is +, 1 pin is- and the hole is the ground and you have 3 wires, is that the same for you ?
I don't know if that helps but that what you 're gonna meet in july 
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #130 on: Time Format »

It's not until October man.  Yeah I know the Europeans continent plugs well, I have plenty of adapters for over there.  WE (over here) run on the same voltage however our plugs differ.  Ours is a bigger plug and always three pronged.  Center is earth.  I played Holland last year so I KNOW the score.  Tomy you been to any of the football for the Euros?

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #131 on: Time Format »

I'm just praying everyday for a french team defeat :poop:, so they give us a breack with football. On game days,sometime things are going bad : supporters fight and ruin the city where game is, it was Marseille last time between russians and british.

In France, when it's football time, world can collapse !
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #132 on: Time Format »

I'm just praying everyday for a french team defeat :poop:, so they give us a breack with football. On game days,sometime things are going bad : supporters fight and ruin the city where game is, it was Marseille last time between russians and british.

In France, when it's football time, world can collapse !

Yeah personally was disgusted at the Russian British rioting.

However the Irish fans were having sing songs with the french police and cleaning up after themselves!!!  I saw this on the news last night.  Perhaps some of then rioting fans should take note and behave that way instead.  The thing that puts me off about football and going to games is it's all about drinking, and as much as I love a drink, I detest lots and lots of drunk people surrounding me and acting like idiots.

It's hard for me to keep up this tournament as both Irelands are in it, Northern Ireland and Republic.  Republic got destroyed by Belgium!!  Boooooooo MJMP!  Normally Republic are better than Northern Irleand but this tournament Northern Ireland are doing better.  However Germany might kill them tonight!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #133 on: Time Format »

Disconnecting the ground wire has nothing to do with how good the earth connection is, it still could be bad.In your case you  solved a ground loop in your system.
Now it seems people that use the 4 wire connection are having more problems with hum ,noise and groundloops that people that use all rack stuff.So you also have to take in account that the long wires have an influence too.

Well lucky for you I'm not interested in football.  :lol:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #134 on: Time Format »

You missed my point I think.

"Disconnecting the ground wire has nothing to do with how good the earth connection"
I didn't say it did.

You are saying that I might not have a ground/good ground which is why I have noise correct? or am I picking this up wrong?

Well the point I'm making is how can I not have a ground connection when lifting an earth wire from a plug reduces noise?

If I had no ground connection lifting an earth wire wouldn't reduce the noise.

This is why I posted the audio to show that when I lift an earth connection the noise reduces.  Now I'm not expert enough to say that this means I have a ground loop issue but basing my findings on what has been said here previous and what I have read in regards to what a loop is, I would think that it's fair to assume that I do and is the cause of my hum issue.

Now it seems people that use the 4 wire connection are having more problems with hum ,noise and groundloops that people that use all rack stuff.So you also have to take in account that the long wires have an influence too.
I can't confirm that as I don't know anyone else who has noise issues or who uses the 4 cable method.  Anyone I know who has noise covers it up with noise gates.  I'm not denying that long cables have an effect on noise, however this particular hum I do not think they are the main problem (despite obviously the shielding connecting to ground), the fact remains that when I lifted the ground on the preamp the noise reduced a lot.  The noise I was left with I could happily live with.  I don't think there is anything wrong with 4 cable method.  Plenty of people use it.

Also didn't you say earlier you have hum even with all rack?

I'm not really into football either, but I take a bit of interest in international games.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up