ADA Preamps > MB-1

MB1 Tube Choice Opinions

(1/3) > >>

rnolan:
So MB1 dudes, what are your recommendations/experiences with different tubes in MB1s ?
I recon the new sensor Mullard short plates would work very well, low microphonics (to sit on top of those biggg rumbles) and so 3D.

kawai2g4b:
I have some JJs in mine right now as it just got back from the shop and they watch up well.  Tubes for the MB-1`seem a bit subjective for me.  All of my basses sound drastically different (e.g. passive short scale, active long scales, 6 strings passive/active), more so than a normal that a group of guitars would.  Since basses can sound so different, I would go for warmer tubes that will get you a more smooth distortion (like with an SVT).  My Kawai Alembic copy FIIB bass is very bright leaning and sounds horribly shrill through a bright tube powered rig, and my short scale sounds ridiculously boomy and undefined without good mid clarity from the amp.  The JJs in mine seem to occupy a good middle road  and I get the best out of all my basses with them should I use the tube section on my patch.

rnolan:
Hey kawai2g4b, guitars the same, they all sound so different (keeps life interesting  :banana: ), I'd be interested to hear how the new short plate Mullards sound in a MB1, they are definitely much more 3D than the JJs in a MP2, I recon guys like you and Peter and BDS will instantly detect the improvement, but I don't have a MB1 to try them in....

Andrea86:
I like old RCA TUBES and i have One on my Trace Elliot preamp and it sounds great!!! I have to replace TUBES also to my ADA MB1 and i would like to know if it's better short or long plate. I think short but another opinion should help me more :)
Thanks!
Andrea

rnolan:
Hey Andrea, the short plates tend to be less microphonic than long plates so would probably be better in a bass rig, particularly if you have the MB1 on top of a speaker box, or when you play loud.  RCA made great tubes, but apart from NOS RCA's I wasn't aware you could still get them ?  Also some like to use a different tube in the V1 and V2 positions as they all have different characteristics.  I put some Mullard long plates (the short plate variant has only been available recently) in my MP2 and was blown away by how they tracked even the slightest pressure change fretting a note.  I had some JJs in for a bit, nice tube, very tight, greeeeat feedback but not as subtule to my ears and broke up a bit on the bottom E (82hz).
Cheers Richard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version