ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Been shopping ADA gear  (Read 2306 times)

David Drake

Re: Been shopping ADA gear
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Holy Moly!
This is what dreams are made of! What an epic score, I'm quite impressed and envious of four true rarities (at least to me) listed on your tally.
1)Microfet 100
2)T100S
3|)STD1 x2 (srsly)
4)Box of parts
What a truly epic and unique sitiuation.. *SIGHS* WISH IT HAD BEEN ME ;)
Congrats MJMP
« Last Edit: Time Format by David Drake »

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I see what you mean about the chorus effect, I don't believe the MP-2 has that variable LFO feature like the QT does. That makes me even more curious about it. If I ever see one of those QT's at a decent price, I'll probably pick it up.

That Chorus feature was exclusive to the QuadTube.  I don't have a TriTube info to confirm if that might have it as well, but the MP-2 does not have that Chorus feature.  Wouldn't that be cool if one could just swap the QT firmware chip into the MP-2 and have it?  I have no idea if it would be just that easy.....besides where TF would you find extra replacement firmware chips anyway...

But if you do get a chance to get a QT definitely do it!  You wouldn't believe the cool extra features that amp has.  Just look at all the jacks on the back......everything except the ability to plug in extension cabs.  lol

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Very nice amp (looking through the manual), would love one (wouldn't we all LoL).  The additional mono loop on the back is a nice touch. And it's a 240v model  :whoohoo!:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

@Harley, yes you are correct there is a DSP chip in it for the effects but the "sound" is analog with tubes (as far as I can see there are 2 tubes ?). Is there also a SE version of these amps? I also saw it has a nice footswitch?

@David, yeah got really lucky, and they are all brand new.

@Kim, it's not software alone, but also they added some hardware too on the chorus circuit. An eprom swap with the MP-2 won't work.

@Rnolan, yes it's a very nice amp, especially for clean sounds.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP,

Thank you for confirming that. I've wondered for years if that was just a load of sales hype, now I know. That's why it sounds so good.

The amp I have is the SE version. It's basically the same as the original but it just has a few added effects to it like a tube screamer for example, plus a few others. Overall, for a combo amp it packs serious tonal punch, and the built-in effects make it easier to use at a gig. The amp comes with a single button footswitch, and a 4 button footswitch. The single button switch lets you bypass the effects on any preset. The 4 button switch lets you recall four of your favorite presets that you can save in a special memory slot in the amp.

There is also a huge MIDI footswitch controller, (purchased separately), and I have two of those also. It's easily the biggest production MIDI controller pedal ever made, but it does work with both of my Fender amps very well.

Oh yes, the CT does have two preamp tubes as well. The Cyber Deluxe does not, but it sounds just as good if not better. Between these two Fender rigs, I can basically have my full rig at any gig and I don't need a truck to haul it around. Don't get me wrong, I love my ADA gear, but just my effects rack alone is the size of a small refrigerator, (all ADA effects). Then add the 8 Split Stack cabs, and the racks that have the preamps and power amps, then connect all the stuff together....it's just not so practical for a live gig. (Unless someone is paying me a lot of money to pay for the roadies who would haul and set it up :lol: )

If I ever see a QT for sale that's priced reasonably, I will pick it up. I'd like to find one with the accessories, but I won't hold my breath.

Harley 8)

I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Well I also found a schematic of a big controller, must be the big one you are talking about.

Just downloaded the service manual for the cyber deluxe, don't see any tubes. But it also makes me wonder if it's all analog. Going to study the schematics in the weekend just to make sure, I just had a quick glance at them.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

According to Sam Marshall, who was working for Fender at the time, and spent a year and a half helping design this amp, The CD is like the CT in the respect that it has the same analogue amplifier circuits in it, but all the effects are digital through the DSP.

I've gotten a lot of compliments about the tones that come out of that amp, but then again, I should also point out that I use mine with my old Vibrolux Reverb that is plugged into the expander output. So, there IS an actual tube amp tone with that rig. What's really nice about that rig is that all the stereo effects are now split to the left and right amplifiers, so the further apart I place the amps, the bigger the stereo field. I find that placing one amp on either side of the drum riser to be an ideal setup. (Plus, the panning delays really mess with the drummer's head).

Both the CD and CT have their pros and cons, and the Cyber Foot Controller does have one major con IMHO, and that's the volume pedal. It goes to the Master Volume on both amplifiers which I think is completely useless. It should go to the Input level pot which is labeled "Trim." That would be how a guitar player would use a volume pedal. I've asked a few techs if they might be willing to modify that pedal in the amp circuitry, but no one seems to be willing to try.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I use the MP-2 stereo master volume with the expression pedal which (I'm sure you know) controls the MP-2 outputs.  I like it that way.  If you put one up front it will reduce your input gain (akin to rolling the vol pot on your guitar), so good if that's what you want to do.  I spose I could do that with the MP-2 by assigning the pedal to OD1 (or my 2nd pedal and have both), but that would need to be assigned in each patch.  Has the amp got any CC functionality? e.g. can you assign the pedal to any other parameters?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I use the master volume output of the G force, but I like to control the output volume with my foot.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

I use the master volume output of the G force, but I like to control the output volume with my foot.
That's the same as MikeB does with his MP-1 > GMaj, and controls output with pedal on his FCB1010.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

@Harley, from what I can see the signal comes in and splits to a level meter and a compressor (?), from there it goes into a codec (and from there to the DSP), comes out the codec into the tubesection and from there to the effects loop, goes back into a second codec (to do some more dsp ?) comes out from the second codec to the power amps. So tone controls are also DSP based. This is for the cyber twin. I'll have a look at the other one tomorrow.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

@Richard: I've tried that with the MP-2, and it's not the same as the CT. I didn't much care for the way that works. By using the volume pedal on the input with a dynamic amp, the amp will clean up as you back the volume off. The MP-2 isn't that dynamic in that sense.
With the CT, it is more dynamic that way, but I have to use an external volume pedal. The volume pedal on the Fender controller is not assignable, the other pedal is, but as far as volume, it's only assignable to the master once again. I usually assign the CC pedal for modulation speed control with the vibe programs, and delay time, or feedback control with one of the delay programs. Time control with the digital panning delays actually controls the speed of the delays panning. Feedback I use with one of the Tape delay programs which can send the delay into feedback oscillation, and back it down again. Pretty cool.

@MJMP: Is the Gmaj. in the effects loop or inline between the preamp and power amp? I've never used one of those, but I have a pretty good idea that it would produce a different dynamic response than just manipulating the master output of the preamp itself. I've done something similar with the Lexicon LXP-15 II, and it did have a different dynamic to it. By the way, from what I'm hearing with the volume control on the pedalboard, it seems to control the output of the power amp as opposed to the output of the preamp.

As far as the CT, yes there is a compressor, the same with the CD as well. I'm not sure what the codecs are, but as far as the loop goes, I'm not impressed with it. The loop seems to be the same as plugging into the input. Then again, with the built in effects, the loop isn't something I have a pressing need for in these amps. With the CT, all I need to do for stereo wide separation, is plug the line outs into my old tube Twins and set those apart to either side of the CT. That's a great tone there. With the CD, I use the old Vibrolux Reverb from the expansion output and get the same thing, but with no center amp.

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

The G force (not major) is the last rack before I go into the power amps. So yes between preamp and poweramp. I also use the G force for tuning mute, not with the volume pedal but with an assigned CC like you can do in the MP-2.

Codec = coder/decoder, in this case you "could" call it a sort of soundcard, sound comes in gets coded goes to some processing and comes back out decoded. So a sort of AD/DA converter but a bit more complex.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

The G force (not major) is the last rack before I go into the power amps. So yes between preamp and poweramp. I also use the G force for tuning mute, not with the volume pedal but with an assigned CC like you can do in the MP-2.

Codec = coder/decoder, in this case you "could" call it a sort of soundcard, sound comes in gets coded goes to some processing and comes back out decoded. So a sort of AD/DA converter but a bit more complex.

Sorry about that GMaj. thing, it must be my old age creeping up on me

The codec makes me wonder though. Maybe that's how they decided was the best way to re-route the EQ from Pre to Post gain? There seems to be multiple EQ shelves from the older to the modern amp circuits.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

No worries  ;D

Yes they can do it that way with using 2 codecs, pre and post is possible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up