ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Been shopping ADA gear  (Read 2321 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Been shopping ADA gear
« on: Time Format »

Well today I went to see Willy, the former ADA importer of ADA gear. He called me a few weeks ago saying he was retiring and he had some new NOS ADA gear lying around he wanted to get rid off. So I asked what he still had lying around and send me a list. So today I left to collect it and I'm one happy bird right now. Here's what I got.

B200S
B500B
Microfet 100
Microtube 100
T100S
Microcab
Microcab
MP2 x2
MP1
STD1 x2
MP2 110V
DIGITIZER 4
AMPULATOR
MXC pack
CCP
QUAD SWITCH x2
DS4
DM-2
QUADTUBE 150M
GRUNDORF CASE x2
Box of parts

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Been shopping ADA gear
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Ever seen a gold ADA sticker? Found it  in the digitizer box

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Also found a MB-1 V2.05 factory preset settings chart. I'll try to scan it and send it to Dante so he can post it somewhere.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Some other pics.

Found some brand new MP-1 frontpanels. Also some parts I can use very well. Too bad nothing for the MP-2. Was hoping for some spare parts and transformers. Did find some MP-1 transformers and a ampulator transformer. Also some other docs I will scan.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

You hit the GOLD MINE!

I'm jealous :lol:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Yeah, my collection has expanded a bit  ;D

Have been playing with the quad tube a bit, it's really good, it looks like a mp-2 but it has some chorus presets that the mp-2 doesn't have. Chorus sounds really good. It does have a microphonic tube I need to replace for the rest it seems to work fine. Got a lot of testing to do. :facepalm:

Also found out that one the MP-2's is the first one ever made, it has serial number 500001  8)

Damn-Danny

• be yourself , never copy someone else!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Cool stuff!!!
Ormsby Hyper GTR 6 string
Ormsby RC One   6 Orange Marbles
SKG    Anubis (halve step down)
Bo-el   MC 6
Robin guitar  Raider USA (D Standard)
ADA 3TM mp1
ADA Ampulator
ADA GCS 6
Ada mp2  (working now)
Yerasove Detonator - P (for sale)
Yamaha SPX 900
Marshall 8008 Valvestate
Peavey  6505MH
Rane mpe 28
EVH 5150II Lbx 
Pro Tone Gary Holt signature boost
Pro Tone Jeff Loomis signature OD
Boss OD2
TC Electronic Sentry noise gate
Bugera 333XL infinium (died on me)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Holy Smokes!!!

I believe you now hold the largest repository of ADA gear in the world (I can neither confirm nor deny the validity of that statement)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: :thumb-up: What a score
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: :thumb-up: What a score

Yeah I was lucky (my wallet isn't  ::) ), he still has a bunch of rane gear lying around. Also asked a list, maybe some interesthing stuff there too.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Holy Smokes!!!

I believe you now hold the largest repository of ADA gear in the world (I can neither confirm nor deny the validity of that statement)

Maybe I do, not sure, maybe there is a bigger ADA nutcase somewhere in the world. Seems I have it all except for the Harmony synthesizer, the tritube 75 and those snake combo's. Also missing a 4x4 midi pedal but he told me he had one lying around, he just needs to find it. I hope he does.

We also talked a bit about ADA, it seems he went there every year when he visited apogee. Told me it was a rough neighborhood. He almost bought ADA when they were going bankrupt but in the end the deal fell through. Also asked him about those combo's, if he ever imported some, but he didn't. He felt it was too dangerous since he first had to pay to get them. Else there was not enough money too produce them. That was late '96 or '97, he couldn't remember correctly.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

WOW!   

I can vouch for the QuadTube; some really cool things about that amp.  I wish I would've kept it... :-[   But unfortunately, I  sold it in order to fund some other thing I thought I really needed at the time.  :facepalm:  It's in good hands though.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Have been playing with the quad tube a bit, it's really good, it looks like a mp-2 but it has some chorus presets that the mp-2 doesn't have. Chorus sounds really good.

Hey MJMP,

Do you think any of these presets could be programmed into the MP-2? If they can, and you think they're that cool, then please share :thumb-up:

I'd like to get my hands on a Quad Tube someday, but I'll be honest. As far as combo amps go, it'll be hard pressed to top my Fender Cyber Twin. When you dial that amp in it sounds downright deadly  ;D

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

The thing is that the chorus in the QT has modes, Rock I, II, III and Jazz I, II, III. These don't exist in the MP-2 and it's not just software but also the hardware is different.

I attached the manual, on page 34 and 35 you will find an explanation what those modes do. It's quite nice, gives it another dimension.

I also saw in the schematics the QT works on a higher tube voltage (220V vs 190V), this also seems to affect the sound.

I just checked it out and that cyber twin also sounds nice, I think that they are build with approx the same idea in mind as the QT. But they will sound different. And the QT doesn't have build effects like delays, reverb etc.

Just had a look at the schematics of the cyber, does it have motorized pots?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Yes, the Cyber Twin has motorized pots in the amp section only. The Cyber Deluxe doesn't have those, but both amps work the same way. When you change to a different preset, the sound changes instantly, so it doesn't morph or ramp into the next preset. That's more about looks than it is function.

It's true they will sound different, but then again, they SHOULD sound different. Speaking of sounds, all the factory presets that come in the CT sound like  :poop: You have to go into edit mode with any preset sound you want to work with and flip one of the speakers out of phase before it will sound like a real amplifier. Then it comes alive and you can basically edit it to make it sound like something you can work with in a band situation.

I see what you mean about the chorus effect, I don't believe the MP-2 has that variable LFO feature like the QT does. That makes me even more curious about it. If I ever see one of those QT's at a decent price, I'll probably pick it up.

I also see in the flow chart that it shows the tube section as a "Class A" amp section. This part of the preamp should be the same as the MP-2, and the higher voltage in the QT should allow for more headroom in each of the tube voices.

BTW, the Cyber Twin came out after ADA went bankrupt. I believe the year was 1999 when it was introduced. I wasn't quite the same as the concept ADA built on. With ADA, you coud basically built your sound from the ground up to any degree the preamp allowed you to. So in effect, you sort of designed your own amp sound within the operational parameters that ADA built into the preamps.

With Fender, their concept was to be able to call up specific amp circuits that ranged from early vintage amps to modern high gain amps, and be able to tweak within the parameters of those amp circuits. In a way, this is more limiting than what you could do with ADA. As for the effects in the CT, I find that much more limited than in the Cyber Deluxe. You still have the same three groups of effects to choose from, (Modulation, Delay, and Reverb), but many of these are already set up as groups of effects with limited adjustments to each effect. If you are building an amp tone of your own, and wish to add effects to it, then it seems like you can only add one of the effects from one of the three groups. I'm still learning the amp though, so maybe there's a way to create my own effect group, I just don't know what it is yet. With the Cyber Deluxe, I can create a basic amp tone, then add any one, or all of the available effects to whatever degree I choose. You can definitely go on a deep dive with that amplifier, and it sounds great with factory or User preset programs. No matter which amp I'm using, both sound like super-sweet real time amplifiers, and not like modeling amplifiers which you can tell from the real thing right away. That's why I've kept these. If you couldn't see these amps onstage, you wouldn't know it was something like this.

From what I understand about these amplifiers, they are actual analogue amp circuits, but the effects are all digital. For me, that's a great setup :thumb-up: Fender claims this is what set these amps apart from modeling amplifiers.

Since you understand the circuits when you look at the schematics, maybe you can confirm this?

Harley 8)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up