ADA Preamps > MP-2

Back from the dead!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Shibiwan,

The higher the gain settings on the MP-2, the more noise it makes, just like any high gain capable guitar amp, (within reason). If the noise is too much, (above a normal level), then it could possibly be a faulty circuit. I'm not a tech, but that would be my guess since these ADA units are getting old, they probably need a complete cap job to help quiet them down.

Harley 8)

Shibiwan:
Yes, I understand the gain vs noise part...I used to be a tech. :D

I had just completed rebuilding the MP-2 and replaced the old caps as well as the bad R913. Not knowing how the MP-2 sounded like before piecing it together, made me curious about the hum.

...... but silly me, it turns out it was an external power supply transformer (Digitech Studio Quad that I had been working on) that was exacerbating the hum. Moved it off my test bench and the hum went down by a ton.

rnolan:
That's good to hear.  Even when my MP-2 was brand new I had to use the gate (fader) on the high gain voices.  These days I tend to use voice 5 which doesn't need a gate and still has plenty of dist for how I'm playing now.

Harley Hexxe:
That must have been one hell of a hum :facepalm:

Shibiwan:

--- Quote from: Harley Hexxe on January 31, 2022, 05:37:41 PM ---That must have been one hell of a hum :facepalm:

--- End quote ---

Off brand Chinese made replacement Digitech power supply (AC to AC). Not surprised at all at the lack of transformer shielding.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version