ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech 21 Power Engine 60  (Read 1451 times)

Moff40

Tech 21 Power Engine 60
« on: Time Format »

Hello fellow ADAers!

Trying to figure out a power amp solution for my MP-1.  Tube power is becoming hard to find (although I did come across a Mesa 50/50, but the seller wants $900 Canadian for it).  I can’t justify that purchase for something I may not use much.  For my Kemper and the ElevenRack before that, I use an ART SLA-1, but both of those units have power amp emulation built in.  Cabinet is a Mesa Recto horizontal 2x12 loaded with G12T-75s.  I also have a Tech 21 Power Engine that’s been collecting dust since retiring the POD stuff ages ago.

So here’s the question:  Has anyone here used and SLA1 or Power Engine with their Mp-1, and if so, what were your thoughts.  Is having tube power going to make THAT much of a difference?

Thanks

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Tech 21 Power Engine 60
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Moff40, tubes make a bit of difference although there are some amps that really seem to suit the MP-1/MP-2.  The ADA B200s works fantastically, then that's what it was designed for.  I also use a Carvin TS100 (all tube, mine has 6L6's but you can run EL34's in it). It also sounds great with my MP-2 rig, 2 RU and not as heavy as some tube amps.  I wouldn't say the Carvin is better than the B200s, maybe a little warmer  :dunno: .  Currently I have a Carvin DCM 200L in my live rack.  It also sound good, and 1 RU and very light.  There's a bunch of posts about different amps that work well (and some don't work so well  :facepalm: ).  If you can run the cab stereo it will make a big difference, even if there is no separation between the speakers.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

The MP-1 is designed to give you that ratty gain from the 80s, and IMHO, it can be a challenge to get the bottom end big enough for today's sounds. A tube power amp would certainly help that, but I would imagine an EQ would too.  :dunno:

Moff40

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I’m more a classic rock/blues rock guy anyway, so I’m not looking for that Recto “thump”, more a Plexi / pushed Deluxe Reverb kind of thing (which by the way, this thing does in spades, paired with the CAB M into Logic).  I’ll just wait till I have an opportunity to crank it up and check the “real world” tone.  :)

The Power Engine has some EQ on it, so I may be able to compensate to a degree.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Moff40 »

Moff40

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Just to follow up on this…  Not long ago, I was hosting the blues jam at a local watering hole, and took the MP-1 and Power Engine (and I brought my Deluxe Reverb too for the “purists” who don’t like to use anything but a Fender amp).  I was getting compliments on my tone from everybody, including the purists and the FOH guy.  I fed the FOH via the Two Notes, and stage through the Power Engine.  Minimal EQing required on the Power Engine (but I had already pulled the stock soeaker in favour of a G12T-75).

Short answer: it works well, maybe not as well as a tube power amp, but very useable.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Cool, good to hear  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Cool, good to hear  :thumb-up:

+1 :thumb-up:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

That does it. Time to sell the MicroTubes and speaker cabs....then pick up two Tech 21 Power Engine combos  ^-^

Don't get me started, I can be easily persuaded to go down big rabbit holes
Pages: [1]   Go Up