Let's Get Technical > All Things Tube

tubes for Ada 3tm mp-1

(1/3) > >>

Damn-Danny:
I'm looking for best option on 12ax7 high  gain tubes for my 3tm mp-1.
No JJ's cause  I hate them sound much too harsh and lower gain .
At the moment I got in v1 a TAD RT001, V2 RT001 and in V3 a TAD7025 WA High Grade.
Must all 3 tubes be the same kind, must they be balanced?
Wanna get to bay area kind of gain, Exodus, Heathen, Dark Angel, Defiance , Vio-Lence.
No JJ's

:headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

rnolan:
Hey Danny, no they don't have to be the same or matched etc as they are providing progressive gain stages.  IIRC MJMP said the V3 tube uses one of its 2 triodes as a cathode follower thus you get 5 gain stages across the 3 tubes (each tube has 2 triodes).  Personally I'm a fan of the new sensor Mullard long plate re-issues, nice 3D tubes, plenty of very smooth gain, nice low end (though I don't have a 3TM, they are great in my MP2s).  There's also a short plate Mullard re-issue, MikeB used a short plate in V1 of his MP1, worked well for him.  So you can mix and match, typically you'd go for the long plate after a short plate if you are mixing them up.  Boogie SPAX7s are also good tubes (they are re-badged as there are only 3 or 4 tube manufactures and they are often JJs (which you don't like) but not always).  The Mullards are Russian tubes (Reflector factory).  They also make a bunch of other re-issues like Tung-sol and Sovtek.  Svetlana are also well regarded Russian tubes.  I posted some comparison pages in previous posts (ages ago) in this topic.

Damn-Danny:
Thnx Nolan,

I ordered 3 Shuguang 12 ax 7 B 's.
Now it's howls and squeels like i wanted it it.

rnolan:
 :whoohoo!: Cool, they look like nice Chinese bottles.... It's good they worked out well for you, and thanks for posting, gives other 3TM uses options to consider  :thumb-up:

rnolan:
Just read a few reviews of the Shuguang 12ax7 B's, seems they don't last as long as some other tubes (~3 years) and are a bit noisy.  The noise shouldn't worry you with 3TM at high gain (i.e. you won't hear it) but you may be up for a new set sooner rather than later.  Let us know how they settle in over time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version