Let's Get Technical > Troubleshooting Problems

MP1 1.38 - Is my Chorus failing???

(1/3) > >>

skarkowtsky:
Hi everyone,

I have a stock MP1, 1.38. I've never explored the Chorus before, though I've heard all the great things. Indeed it sounds great, but once I dial the Depth past 0.3 is quickly becomes warbley. The preset is custom, S.S, and squeaky clean. I bypassed the rest of the rack to shape the Chorus, so I know the other effects aren't influencing it.

The Rate sounds good throughout the frequency band, but I can't imagine the Depth only sounds good within 3 cents.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Thanks!
John

rnolan:
Not heard of this one before  :crazy: .  The Depth sets the delay time (IIRC using an analogue bucket brigade delay chip) (i.e. up to about 30 to 40 ms for chorus, past that it becomes a distinct delay/echo).  I routinely ran my MP-1 chorus Depth at 100 and Rate = 0 to get a fattening/double tracking effect in stereo set up (sounds great BTW).  How does it sound when you set the Rate to 0 and increase the Depth ??  Maybe the delay chip needs replacing, though may be hard to find these days.

skarkowtsky:
Hey, thanks for the reply! It's morning here in NY, but I managed to sneak into the guitar room to try factory preset 14 "Sparkling Clean" for a comparison. It's wobbling all over as well, lol.

What would I be replacing internally to restore the Chorus?

Unrelated, but to give you an idea of the current state of my MP1, I recently re-tubed with NOS Chinese 12AX7As from Doug's Tubes. Tone sounds great.

PS Coincidentally, the only Chorus setting I tried prior to last night was Depth at 100 for that widening sound. This was about a year ago and it sounded great. Something has happened since.

Thanks!
John

skarkowtsky:
My apologies, it's the Rate control that's the issue, not Depth.

Harley Hexxe:
I think this is a job for MJMP.

It sounds like a resistor may have gone south.

Have you opened the top panel and looked inside for anything that may be physical damage? i.e. cracked resistor, or even burnt one, etc.

Just a thought. I think one of those might be the culprit instead of an IC chip/

Harley 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version