Miscellaneous > Recording - Studio Talk

New I/O day Focusrite 18i20

<< < (3/3)

rnolan:
Update, So new PreSonus Studio 18/24 USB arrived.  Spent last night getting it working.  So lessons learn't, don't take much notice of the instructions, stupidly I did (well it should be a reasonable assumption to follow the instructions  :facepalm: ).  The instructions are really all about the Studio One software (which they call a DAW, this is such BS, a DAW is a dedicated piece of hardware with firmware loaded etc that "just" does DAW, nothing else, not software you load on a computer (a multi purpose multi function thingy)).  Sure a DAW has computer bits in it, but only what it needs to do its job... Anyway my rant for the evening, I know many people call audio recording software on a general purpose computer a DAW (but it's not (or every computer with a sound card/on board audio chip would be a DAW)).Anyway, after stuffing around for hours, registering, installing, downloading the unit still wouldn't work, the windows drivers that windows installs don't work etc.  So by 11:30pm I'm about ready to give up for the night.  Then I discover "Universal Control" on their web site, download and install the latest version of it and suddenly  :whoohoo!: windows recognises the I/O unit and I can use it (with other programs, I chose Gold Wave to play back some songs).  So basically it's all you need to install the drivers and get it going, no registering, stuffing around with Studio One (which has giga bytes you need to down load ~7 IIRC).  So tonight I'll attempt to do "all" the S One downloads again.  Then I need to give S One a go, but I can feel a new Pro Tools purchase may be required (based on the little I've seen so far).

But main thing is how does it sound, well much nicer than the FocusRite, much more musical.  Lacks bottom end though (as did the FocusRite) maybe this is a reaction to peoples (seemingly) total inability to incorporate (and cross over) a sub woofer properly (doof doof to the world  :facepalm: ).  If you are sending anything above 50Hz to your sub you've got it all wrong....
Other down side is one of the ADAT input plastic dust covers is MIA, so just a funny bit of wire (I assume the flip dust cover slips onto  :dunno: ). So may need to take it back and order a new one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version