Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

SPEAKER WIRING SCHEMATICS

<< < (2/7) > >>

Griphook:
What would the wiring look like, if I wanted to use a 2x12 either in Stereo or in Mono(Series)?

So 8 Ohms each side or 16 Ohms Mono?

Can I use 2 switchable Jacks or do I have to use 3 Jacks?

rnolan:
Edit, you wanted series not parallel  :facepalm: , here's how to do it easily parallel..
Hey Griphook, this is how I've wired one of my Split stacks (2 x 16 ohm celestion 70s) so in stereo (both jacks) 16 ohms per channel.  Mono, one jack 8 ohm (speakers in parallel).

So you need 2 jack sockets, one normal and one switching (connects the tip (+ve) to the sw lug with no jack inserted).

+  16ohm   -       + 16 ohm  -
 |             |       |             |
 |             |       |             |
 |             |       +            |
 +_______ |__ sw lug         |
               |                     |
               - _____________-

So wire SP1 to normal jack (+ & -), wire SP2 to switch jack (+ & -), wire normal jack +ve to switch jack switch lug.  If the jacks are not earthed together through a metal plate, then also wire the normal and switch jack - ves' together (red line).

So when you plug into normal jack only, both speakers mono in parallel.  When you plug into both jacks, the join between normal jack + and switch jack + is broken (goes nowhere) so is now stereo.

Dante:

--- Quote from: Kim on November 27, 2016, 07:56:33 AM ---Thanks to GuitarBuilder for providing this extra attached info.   :wave:  A lot more in-depth and comprehensive, should anyone require that. 

--- Quote from: GuitarBuilder on November 21, 2016, 12:23:17 PM ---Check out the attached article - it has every conceivable 4x12 wiring combination.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

That PDF is MONEY. Thanks Kimmer, and thanks GB!!

Kim:
Here's another one I recently used to reconfigure one of my cabs.   This original post has been edited to use the Cliff jacks MJMP mentioned below.

This uses a switching jack to make the 2x12 Stereo or Mono depending on whether both jacks are uses or just one.  Here, the other non-switching jack is the Primary jack.  Plugging into the Primary jack alone gives a Mono 2x12 at 8 ohms (each speaker is 16 ohms itself).  Adding another plug to the Switch jack splits the 2x12 into Stereo at 16 ohms per side.  Note that plugging into just the non-switching jack alone will result in just one active speaker at 16 ohms.   

Be sure to clearly label the jacks as to which one is the Primary and be sure to match the impedances to your amp in regards to which jack(s) you will be using.

MarshallJMP:
Good idea but I would use different jacks, the ones you are using seem to be stereo jacks. I would use cliff jacks, they are cheaper, easier to wire up and they are isolated.
Also these can handle 5A/2000V while the 14B only can handle 1A/25V which is too low.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/jack-cliff-14-mono-black-plastic-nut-marshall

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version