ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Killer tone with OD2 at 0  (Read 7015 times)

El Chiguete

Killer tone with OD2 at 0
« on: Time Format »

So lately I noticed that I didn't have a good overdrive tone patch on my MP1 and the other day I was messing around trying to get a good clean tone to then see if I could use an Overdrive effect from my Lexicon multieffects in front of the MP1. BUT like I noticed before and like it was mentioned in another thread when OD1 is set low and OD2 is set at 0 you get a clean tone... so it then hit me: what will happend if I "overdrive" the OD2 tube that is at 0 by sending a strong signal from OD1? Well just like when you have an amp set clean and you boost the input with a pedal when you have OD1 ant 10 and OD2 at 0 you get a REALLY nice overdrive tone!

Go ahead guys try it out. The other tone controls are not that important for the base tone so you can adjust to taste, but you can also go with OD2 from 0-3.0 if you are not using hot pickups or want a little bore brakeup on the overdrive  :metal: Let me know what you guys think.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Killer tone with OD2 at 0
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey El, if you set OD2 = 0 it should not add any gain, and just pass the signal through (as there is (if OD1 is not set to = 0) already some gain). Loading up the front end with gain (as you are doing) puts more gain into OD1 circuit. But from the other post, setting OD1 = 0 turns this off no matter what you shove into it (hey a little bit may leak through). There is a circuit, the signal passes through it. If you turn the circuit "off" by turning OD1 = 0, then it "stops" the signal at that point. (again a little may squeak through, but shouldn't).  Gain is an end to end structure (that we play around with) but needs a complete circuit. You can do all sorts of things on the way (journey) and various toys do different things to the signal, but fundamentally eddy electrons have to get from one end to the other or it doesn't work. Much of your experiments should help you understand this flow, and some of what you have played with are interesting ideas (e.g. turning OD2 = 0 effectively removes a MP1 gain stage (but not entirely, you still get its noise as the signal has to pass through it)).  There are other ways to achieve your results with less noise which I've left alone as your experiments should be edifying you as to how gain and circuits works (i.e. you are pushing boundaries that no one would normally bother with, but good for understanding  :thumb-up: , but in the end not necessarily the best way to achieve the result). IMO this direction will not lead to a good gain structure for a final sound/tone, but hey if it helps you understand the circuit and gain structure  :whoohoo!: .  Firing up the MP1 input with lots of pre gain will just overload the OD1 circuit (I may be alone here ? but  I wouldn't put anything other than a wah pedal in front of the MP1, like WHY???? lets screw it at the start ??), yeah it will cope, (hey if it makes the sound you want, well cool and each to their own (better use a Rockman ??), it's BAD gain structure BTW even if it does cope (but if you prefer transistor distortion to tube, hey fill your boots)). I'm not trying to poo poo your results BTW, it's helping you understand, which is good, but please understand that you are pushing boundaries that may (will possibly) have BAD gain structure results (e.g. will add noise etc).
Hey any sound that works is valid, and you can take any gadget to it's limits, in the end it's what you "want" (it's your sound), but bad gain structure is BAD gain structure, this comes into play much more when the volume goes up to very loud stage levels....
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Try out your normal rock preset with OD1 at 10 and OD2 at 0 and let me know what you think :)

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey El, I'll give it a go with both MP2 and MikeBs MP1  :thumb-up: . With the MP2, you don't get OD2 at voice 5 or below which I think serves a similar purpose to what you have discovered, and voice 5 (warm vintage) has become my preferred rock tone. (sorry about last nights rant BTW  :facepalm: , a bit over the top in hindsight).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

No problem jeje I played around with it a bit yesterday and found that with some guitars sounds better than others, deffiently NOT a one trick pony to great tone!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81
Pages: [1]   Go Up