ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FRFR PA Speakers  (Read 9811 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
FRFR PA Speakers
« on: Time Format »

How many of you MP-1 users run a FR/FR setup?
Happy with the results vs a guitar cab?
Thinking of switching to FR/FR setup. With most venues it would be simpler to use FR/FR PA speakers as my monitors or backline and run my mains to FOH. For practice I can use them as mains. This would also allow me to incorporate my Pod XT Pro into my rack and have more options. My JMP-1 has emulated outs so that works there, unsure of how the ADA will sound and I don't want to waste $ if it is going to sound like shit. :dunno:
I was looking at this PA/Speaker combo
http://harbingerproaudio.com/product/m120/
It goes on sale Thursday for $169.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: FRFR PA Speakers
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Ah FR/FR = flat response/full ferq range, gotcha.
So if you put an ADA GCS-3 cab sim (or similar) in the MP1 loop, that would work (as MikeB does when he plugs into my studio monitors). But it will need a cab sim or sound wayyy toppy.
IIRC GuitarBuilder uses a pair of full range peavy (small) PA cabs (passive boxes so needs stereo poweramp) with his MP2 and wouldn't have it any other way. But he uses the Cab sim outs on the MP2 (as do I direct to my studio monitors (which are more FR/FR than most PA boxes).
From the link you sent (and for only $169) it should work fine but is mono!!. They look like decent boxes and the mixer/amp should be transparent (but is mono!!).
For what your thinking of, I'd use them like monitors on stage (front line facing back, tweeters hard L/R) which will make FOH mix easier for your sound guy.

I'm happy with cab sim into studio, on stage I still prefer cranked guitar cabs  >:D but man $169 is a pretty good deal (again though is mono so you could buy 2 and run in stereo  >:D ). Another way to go with this idea is with powered monitors, but the cheaper ones are pretty chinsy and you'd get better guitar sounds the normal way. I've got a pair of Carvin LM 15 350w powered PA boxes (for PA), they're ok but I wouldn't use them in place of guitar cabs (my 2 cents worth)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Yeah I noticed it was mono however it is a 4 channel mixer so my idea was to pan hard right and hard left on two channels and remain in stereo. I am getting tired of lugging around 412 cabs (my old age) lol. I checked out this band last Friday and the guitar player was using that setup with a jmp1 and a pod HD500 and his tones were just amazing! After their set he showed me his rig, I couldn't believe how well those PA speakers sounded like a full stack with V30's in them. Still on the fence but leaning towards pulling the trigger! Looks like it's time to research a cab simulator :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I think it all depends on how good your cab sim is.But imo a cabsim can never replace a real cab soundwise.I did experiment quite a bit and although the sound came close it's just not the same.You always have this fizzy thingy in the overall sound.Now on the other hand if it's all mixed in with the band this effect will be hard to hear.Guess it comes down to personal taste.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I'm with MJMP here, I like to have my cabs surround me with sound, but you can't pan with that rig, it's mono, so to go stereo mmmm, you need to get another amp and stereo input and run one cab off each amp. So you could use a stereo power amp with those 2 cabs.. or get 2 of them all, so 4 cabs 2 mixer/preamps, that would work (and sound rather good I'd proffer) (i.e. 1 amp and 2 speakers per side L/R)

Soloist

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Ok forget that idea....I had a better deal fall into my lap today. I got 2 split stacks (with covers), an MC-1 (with midi cables & power supply) and a MP-1 (European version) all for $300!! :whoohoo!: I couldn't pass it up!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Go Soloist, what a great score, it would cost you more for just the speakers...  :thumb-up: I like the split stacks (I asume they are slant split stacks ? you don't see many of the straight ones)

Soloist

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Yes they are the slanted cabs. Beautiful tone!! I believe they have Celestion Legacy drivers, not as dark as a Mesa cab, but darker than a Marshall :metal:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Pages: [1]   Go Up