ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The last thing I need....  (Read 2378 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
The last thing I need....
« on: Time Format »

Dang GAS attacks!!

I just bought another guitar, the last dang thing I needed....I have too many already, but I apparently have a weakness for small hollowbody guitars. It's an Ibanez AM77t. The t stands for Tremolo, it has an Ibanez branded Bigsby bridge

When these came out (around 2006-ish) they were just a test. Well, apparently they failed miserably because they only made them for one year. I played one in a local music store and loved the Bigsby feel...it was a red version, some other year, but still an ES339 sized hollow body and the action was super low. Needless to say, I'll be changing the humbuckers as soon as I get her.

They're not expensive, were $550 new, you can find them for $350 when you can find them. I paid $450 with the hardshell case, which seems fair

Pix below, the small pic is the one I bought (comes with a hardshell case), the large pic is the best I could find of the Black Nebula paint job
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: The last thing I need....
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Nice  :thumb-up: , love the sparkly paint job.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Nice  :thumb-up: , love the sparkly paint job.

+1 :thumb-up:

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Very sweet! Bigsbys are fun. :)

I cannot say anything about buying too many guitars myself. :O

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Niiiiice  8)
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Nice Axe Dante,

IS there such a thing as too many guitars?!? :crazy:

So.....what kind of pups are you planning to drop in this guitar if I may ask?
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I don't think so  8) same with amps and ADA's and ...  ;D

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Nice Axe Dante,

So.....what kind of pups are you planning to drop in this guitar if I may ask?

I have a Seymour Duncan SH-1 in my parts bin for the bridge, and I ordered a Dream 90 for the neck from GuitarFetish.com. Also ordered some CTS pots, orange drops and a Switchcraft jack

We'll see how that SH-1 sounds. I have a Vintage Extra Hot from GFS in my Schecter, that's where the Sh-1 came from. I like that PU very much...I may get another one. Here is some info about it

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

That's a very interesting pickup, especially for the price!

I'm not a huge fan of SD pups, but there are a few that I do like. The only one I own right now is the Screamin' Demon TB-12. I had it in another guitar that I sold a long time ago, but I kept the pup because it does have a killer tone to it in the right guitar. The only other one I tried that I liked the tone of was the JB. I have a Pearly Gates here, but don't care for it. It's too wimpy, and thin sounding.
    One pickup I'm curious about is the Saturday Night Special. That seems to have tones that remind me of the late 70's kind of sounds we used to hear.
    I may have to try that VEH though, it looks a little weak on the power end, but who knows?

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Yeah, you cannot beat the price. It does sound good in a solid body Schecter Banshee Extreme (HSS strat)...I also have a SH-5 (SD Custom) in my Fender Strat that is good and sounds good when split

I have a SD JB / Jazz setup in my big hollowbody and that thing sounds fantastic. I've found the GFS Classic II Alnico 2 sounds as good as a SD Jazz in the neck position....possibly better

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

One SD I really like is the little '59, single coil size humbucker.  I put one in my Squire bullet strat and it sounds really nice.  I have a SD hot rails in the bridge that I used to have in the neck pos of my tele.  I can't remember if it was a neck rated (lower output) one but it's not floating my boat in the bridge of the strat.  Then these days I hardly ever use the bridge PU in any of my guitars.  Quite a change from days gone by when I used the bridge PU most of the time.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

@Dante,

You have a JB in the Bridge of a hollow body? Doesn't that give you some feedback issues? It's a more powerful pup than the Screamin' Demon.

What kind of woods are we talking about in the Schecter? I'm thinking of trying the TB-12 in one of my Showmaster guitars after I get it routed for a Floyd. It's a Trembucker spaced pup. The Showmaster is a Basswood body/Mahogany set-neck.

@Richard,

You know, everyone and their brother seems to be making a version of a '59 humbucker. I haven't really heard one that that makes the light go on in my head. Maybe I'm missing something.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I feel the same thing about the '59er...had one in a Squire and never liked it

@Harley, I bought the guitar that way in 2008...gig her like crazy. If anything, I'd like more feedback ;) That guitar really sounds amazing, can't believe it's Chinese

The Schecter: Featuring a contoured mahogany body with a quilted maple top. The bolt-on neck is constructed from maple, while a rosewood fingerboard is equipped with 24 extra-jumbo frets. The Banshee-6 FR Extreme is outfitted with a Schecter's Exclusive Floyd Rose Special 'Hot Rod' Locking Tremolo

Here's a linky

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante,

I just checked that out. It's somewhat similar to the Showmaster guitars I have with the exception of the bolt on neck.

The two HH guitars I have are both Basswood bodies with Mahogany necks glued in, Rosewood fretboards with 24 medium jumbo frets.  One has a bubinga top, the other has a quilted maple top. They look like they are carved top guitars, but the tops are just a veneer laminate glued on top.

The SSS model I have is a little different. The neck is still mahogany, but the body on this one is African mahogany. It's definitely heavier than the other two. Since the finish on the back and sides is a translucent light red, I can see how they simulated the carved top. It's thin strips of wood sanded to different heights and glued in next to each other, then the laminate is glued on top of that. The top on that one is called flamed alder, but it looks like an extended tic-tac-toe board IMHO. I really wouldn't mind painting that one darker so it would hide that cheesy laminate. It came with SD 5-2 single coils that sound about as thin as you can imagine. (half Alnico 5 and half Alnico 2 magnets). I still haven't found a decent set of pickups that I'd like for that guitar. For a short time, I had a Fender X-1 bridge pickup in it and two Fender singles from the mid 80's but it didn't quite get me there, so I took them out.
   I'm thinking about a set of hard core stacked humbuckers for it. It does have a lot of warmth with all that mahogany. I was thinking of modifying it for a set of Burns Tri-Sonics that I've had for years, but there isn't enough room for the electronics in the control cavity. I did see a body that I might get on GF for those pups that was going for about 50 bucks. There would be a lot of work involved with that build, and it would have to be from the ground up, but that's for another topic.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

By the way,

I forgot to mention another humbucker pickup that I just heard about a few days ago. It's not out yet, but it will be available soon.

It's from Voodoo Custom Pickups and it's called the Tessarect. (VCP-TDS)

It uses Alnico 9 magnets and is overwound to the gills, and has a DC resistance of 44.2K. You might want to check that out for your hollow body if you want more feedback

https://voodoocustompickups.com/

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up