ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So what is this guy on??? This guy deluded or are we deluded?  (Read 3366 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

I was randomly looking for a rear photo of an MP1 whilst I sit at my computer working from home for a diagram I am creating for myself to show how a patchbay might work should I buy one to solve my preamp switching issue.  It's more or less to help my mind get around it.  Whilst I was doin so I found this link

https://menga.net/obsolete-guitar-gear-ada-mp-1

People like this really worry me, because in the world of guitar gear there are many people who start rumours about things and then these rumours becomes believed truths by people who do not know any better and I've fallen victim to these type rumours in the past about certain things and it took me years to realise people literally set out to bad mouth stuff or state their opinion as gospel and suddenly it becomes the believed standard.  One of the best things I realised over the years is most gear can sound good in the right hands and to not be snobby towards stuff that isn't so popular or in fashion anymore.  Hell if I paid attention to the latest trends I'd not be on this board and I've have a kemper or Axe Fx or some kind of amp head  :lol:

So yeah check that out and be prepared to disagree.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

This falls under freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean he's right  ;D

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

This falls under freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean he's right  ;D

Elegantly put!!

Ahhhhhh don't start me!!!  :lol:

It's just blatant buffonary.  The guy is clearly one of those people I despise.  A snob with painted on f**king ears!

I tell you one thing, I have never been a Metallica fan or a Paul Gilbert fan or anyone else who used an ADA MP1 so they aint my reasons for using one.  Not even sure now how I discovered MP1's.  I know the rack thing became a gradual progression and having a tube preamp in an MFX four cable method was the original implementation but I can't remember what prompted me to look into something like that as a solution  :dunno:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Well I bought one because a friend of mine had one and the sound blew me away. Also the midi switching made it very interesting.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I bought one because back then I was using my Marshall with no master vol and no channel switching.  So I needed a lead vol boost.  With the MP1 I could have 128 Marshall's (better sound actually) at any volume I needed.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

I bought one because back then I was using my Marshall with no master vol and no channel switching.  So I needed a lead vol boost.  With the MP1 I could have 128 Marshall's (better sound actually) at any volume I needed.

Exactly, so it was for practicality, functionality and of course sound!  For me the whole concept of rack gear opened up after this and I liked the idea of different modules.  I liked being able to use different preamps but with the same power amp.  Just a lot more versatile, and the MP1 was like a programmable Marshall esque preamp, and I personally think it sounds great.  Nothing to do with famous guys who used it for about 5 seconds.  Actually there is a question, who has stuck with the MP1 over the years (apart from us)?  I only know of famous guitarists who still use the JMP1.  No one I can think of uses an MP1.  I think Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden might have an MP1 in his rack as well as a JMP1 can't remember now.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.

It's true the MP-1 isn't perfect, but then again neither are Plexi's, JCM 800s, JCM 900s, Dual/Triple Recs, Twins, Bassman's, or anything else.  They all have their particular "magic" and some are harder to dial in that "magic" than with others.  Very few of that gear were anything more than a "One Trick Pony" without some sort of ancillary pedals.   

As far as "famous" players, well there was a whole list of them besides Hammett and Gilbert.  And didn't Hammett only use it for the Clean lead he played on "One"?  Big deal.   While we might use them anyway, I'm sure most of us didn't buy the MP-1 because of the Clean voicings.  Everyone has their own idea of what they like, what they think sounds good, and what they want to achieve.  One person's trash might be another person's treasure... 

At the end of the day, everyone has their own opinions and I'd rather form my own if possible instead of just going from what someone else states.  It's clear that guy doesn't like the MP-1.  I'll also say it seems like he wants the Reader to not like it either.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Well just read the article, he seems to be coming at it from a should you buy one today perspective, particularly given the other choices available.  I don't agree with allot of what he says, and no we are not IMHO deluded.  The MP1 sounds heaps better than my 73 Marshall, I compared a while ago and was blown away how much better the MP1 is.  I gigged with my first MP1 for over 15 years, it was just fantastic for what I wanted/needed. It never missed a beat.  I bought the MP2 as soon as they came out, I loved the extra stuff it came with and still do.  I also have a Quadverb, IIRC it was the first multi Fx rack unit that could do 4 things at once (as opposed to one thing at a time eg SPX90 (which was current live PA reverb at the time).
I do agree about the MC1 pedal, the later 2 row format is much better.  The noise thing, as we know, is a product of age, caps don't care what they are in, the earlier caps just went off over time regardless of use, and, can be fixed.  As Kim says, nothing is perfect.  Also for me, I wasn't trying to sound like anyone else, the MP1 and now MP2 have let me develop my own sound.  Prior to getting the MP1, I had quite a complicated rig just to get the sounds I wanted.  I never want to go back to the pedal dance and needing power at your feet.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

Just making a point clear, of course this guy is just giving his opinion and that's fine and my style of message on here can be loaded with exaggerated anger and outrage so just bare that in mind anyone who thinks I'm saying "it has to be my way or the highway". 

But as Kim mentions

I'll also say it seems like he wants the Reader to not like it either.

And this is what I guess makes me most angry aside from the fact he's just wrong and suggests the reasons for people buying one was simply down to those guys who used 'em back in the days fame.  I'd dare say the preamp earned it's reputation largely off it's own merit and not on the basis of who used 'em.  I don't like guys of this ilk who preach "you can't use that, you must use this, oh no that unit is shit blah blah blah blah".  It's like their reading of a check list and then spreading that as gospel to people sometimes more susceptible to not being able to form their own opinions, and then suddenly you end up with all these clones of gear Nazis and idiots.  Kills me!!!

I bought the MP1 as it sounded like a solution to what I needed.  If I didn't like it I would sell it on.  And you know the first one I bought, was flat sounding and lifeless.  I sold it straight away and then got a 3TM.  It took that to happen before I realised this is a unit I can make work and improve my sound with.  After that I bought another two MP1 over the next few years.

Also, Kim is right Hammet barely used it, I never really think of him as a user.

Well just read the article, he seems to be coming at it from a should you buy one today perspective, particularly given the other choices available. 

You're right to be fair he does.  But it kinda suggests it's out of date and you can get better or similar using newer gear.  Tell that to anyone who uses old equipment then??????????  :dunno:  Such a stupid thing to say.  I personally think MP1 has a Marshall thing going on (as we know) but with it's own identity too, so there's two reasons for using one and one reason that will make it a little more distinctive.

I do agree about the MC1 pedal, the later 2 row format is much better.  The noise thing, as we know, is a product of age, caps don't care what they are in, the earlier caps just went off over time regardless of use, and, can be fixed.  As Kim says, nothing is perfect.  Also for me, I wasn't trying to sound like anyone else, the MP1 and now MP2 have let me develop my own sound.  Prior to getting the MP1, I had quite a complicated rig just to get the sounds I wanted.  I never want to go back to the pedal dance and needing power at your feet.

Yes I mean was it always noisy?  He kinda suggests it was.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey RG, no they weren't noisy when they were new or 15 years old for that matter.  I haven't found another preamp I like better, for me the MP1 and MP2 (haven't heard a Classic) are the best preamps ever made, and the MB1 is awesome.  The reason I started buying MP2s' was because I thought, if mine died and I couldn't fix it, what could I use instead, and quite frankly, there isn't anything else.  If the AxFX had a decent tube input stage maybe  :dunno: , but it doesn't.  The Kempler has a nice user interface but doesn't quite cut it for me.  And I have zero interest in pedals etc.
You are correct about them having their own identity, which in turn has helped/allowed me to develop my own sound.  I didn't buy mine MP1/2 because anyone else used them, I didn't know who did use them.  I bought them because they were fantastic, and solved a bunch of my practical issues e.g. lead boost, the right sound (and Fx) on the fly at the push of 1 button, no pedal dance (well it has it's own pedal dance I spose, changing patches at the right time)

In many ways the guy is being unfair, he doesn't give any context, he's also wrong about much of it, every guitar does sound different (which is why Dante sets up banks of patches for each guitar).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL

In many ways the guy is being unfair, he doesn't give any context, he's also wrong about much of it, every guitar does sound different (which is why Dante sets up banks of patches for each guitar).

Yes totally agreed there Richard.

AxeFX and all that stuff doesn't interest me.  Is it as good?  I dunno.  Might be.  I know Systematic Chaos uses ones.  Just not for me and yes I haven't tried one and probably wont as it's so expensive.  I get that it is portable big time but so was my last rig I took on a plane  :thumb-up:.

Pages: [1]   Go Up