ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hendrix "Hey Joe" and "All Along the Watchtower" issues  (Read 7928 times)

vansinn

I've been trying to create a patch for the "Hey Joe" and "All Along the Watchtower" sound on my MP-2.

While I can get the basic tonal balance, I reached the conclusion it just can't be done without using a tube amp with it's intrinsic power tube and transformer harmonics distortion, fed into a 4x12 with some resonance.
I'll go add it to my patches in a split for those who might wanna give it a spin - and have real amps to boot :hair-out:

Not that I play that much Hendrix, but still a Bit of a miss.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Depends how authentic you want it to be, personally when I play both those songs I prefer to hot them up a bit.  In which case the rhythm patch I posted will work well, wind down the vol pots to clean up if desired.

Attached are using MP1 (quadverb, IPS33, B200s, quad box wired stereo)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Joe
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

Hehe, yeah, I want it as authentic as can be; it's a mental memory from my teens ;)
Always struck me with awe and wonder whenever I winded the reel2reel to those songs; the sheer volume of semi-cleans in Hey Joe, and the scooped cleans in Watchtower - and then that reverberated kick drum. Chills along my spine.

Oh well.. I just don't see any ways of getting that sound without some sort of real amp/cab piggy backing my MP-2.

EDIT: Well..  I managed to take it a good deal further today to be useful enough. Presets updated, check it out..
« Last Edit: Time Format by van Sinn »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Just something to consider about those two recordings;

In 1967, when Jimi was recording those songs, it wasn't only the Marshall stacks and Fender amps he was using to play through, it was also the microphones and the recording equipment that was being used to record with.
   They were using tube mics, (Telefunken U47's), and the mic preamps were also tube back then, which could load the mic sensitivity to a much better degree than what we have today.
   The mixing desk was also tube circuits as well as any compression effects and passive EQ's such as Pultecs. Add to this the 2" Studer tape machines, and you have the basic ingredients for very high fidelity recordings.
   Such equipment would be astronomically expensive today, although there are some things out there that can come closer to getting that kind of recording quality. BAE has some very good quality mic pre's that can load a good condenser mic, and if you can afford it, you might find a good used GT Vipre out there, as well as a Pultec EQ. They won't be cheap though.

As I said in the beginning, just something to consider...

Harley 8)

*Note*  Sinn, it's true that nothing is quite like having a stack that can move the air around you, and so much more satisfying to play to, (in respect to guitar/amp response), vs. Preamp>direct to PC>direct to headphones/monitors.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.

The Analog Tape part of this topic has been moved to Recording - Studio Talk.

http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1689.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up