ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tuner Day  (Read 106 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
New Tuner Day
« on: Time Format »

So my new Peterson Strobo Clip tuner arrived  :whoohoo!: .  This new version is rechargeable as the previous version (which I already have) uses CR2032 button batteries which are now banned in Australia because very young kids keep eating them  :nono: :facepalm: .  While being rechargeable gets around this issue, for a gig I'd prefer to have a spare battery on hand if the tuner went flat (no pun intended) than have to find a USB phone charger and wait for it to charge up.  They have also added some features like various selectable screen colours and possibly future firmware updates.  Not sure how I feel about connecting my tuner to the internet....  So it seems you can still use button batteries but they have to be secured/kid proof.  The music shop had to send 100 Taylor acoustics to New Zealand because they had CR2032s in them which are now illegal here.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: New Tuner Day
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

This new model is very cool.  I connected up to Peterson connect, registered the purchase and upgraded the firmware. All too easy.  You can associate a screen colour with any of the sweetened presets, so you could have orange for guitar, green for acoustic guitar, red for bass etc. if you want. 

If you've never used a strobe tuner before, do yourself a favour and buy one of these.  They aren't too expensive ~$65USD, real time tuning and accurate to 0.1 cent.  Normal digital tuners have a slight sample delay (so not quite real time) and a "dead" zone where they'll indicate your in tuned between an upper and lower bound (close but not necessarily quite there).

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I've owned the Peterson Strobostomp HD for a few years now, and they are the best tuners IMHO. One is pictured on the Fender Cyber-Controller pedal board, which it has as a permanent residence on, because I think Fender tuners are a load of :poop:

The other one is used in the newer pedal board builds. I do like these a lot as they also have a spare power output on them, built in buffering if you select it, or true bypass if you prefer that. They are also updateable over the internet. I do need to get a clip on type though for my acoustic guitar. I don't know if I told you guys about that one. Dante would love it probably. It's an Ibanez Concord model 756. Made from 1974-1976. I'm not sure exactly when this one was made because there's no serial number in it. For the price, I couldn't walk away from it. It's one of the lawsuit guitars. I'll put some pics up of it eventually.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Wow Harley, my first acoustic was an Ibenez concord (1974 ish) hummingbird.  These are awesome guitars (for the money then).  I loved it, unfortunately stolen  :wave:

I bought the original stroboclip, great tuner now with my daughter (with elastic band around the clip, they've much improved the clip bit these days).  I like the clip on as I can tune all my guitars with it and I don't have to plug in (I did contemplate the rack version but  not versatile as it's in the live rack...).  So I bought the newer model, much better clip on mechanism and better overall.  Recently I went to source one for my guitar student/friend, and they advised they were now illegal (new button battery laws WTF :crazy: ).  So I ordered 2 of the newest rechargeable (and legal) HDC model.  Just as good as ever, and even better  :whoohoo!: .  One day (when I set up a workbench again) I'll buy the $6000 version with the physical spinning wheels.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Look into the Strobostomp HD, It's a very rugged pedal.

I got both of mine at Sweetwater for an affordable price. I would only use the clip on for the acoustic, but it will be a Peterson too.

Don't waste the money on the rack version. It's only good for a studio. Too delicate for road use.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I use the clip on for everything (Live, Studio, electric, acoustic, bass, setups/intonation), I liked the idea of the pedal versions but I don't use any pedals (except the MXC pedal pack), but they look like great units.  I've found the clip on works for all situations (for me), it doesn't get confused on stage (when every one is making loud noises etc.) which I was initially concerned about (not that I have it on the guitar when I'm playing during the set, while it would be fine, I just tune in the breaks.  The rack version is now discontinued (I discovered today) and their top of the line baby is $5400USD, hmm one day maybe  :dunno: .  Also I don't have a spare RU for the rack unit anyway. But good tip about their delicacy  :thumb-up: .
Pages: [1]   Go Up