ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New ADA MP-1 - questions  (Read 5896 times)

tnipe

New ADA MP-1 - questions
« on: Time Format »

Finally got one of these! It sounds good to me - but I have a couple of issues with it I. Appreciate any help!

- Presets are deleted each time I turn it off. I get the C 1-128 and error 1,2,3. I figured it's the battery. Is the battery mod kit from Marshall JMP Mod shop the way to go?

- If I dial in any chorus (depth), there's a garbled, fizzy sound present. Anyone had this issue before?

- How do I see which firmware version I have? I thought about getting the newest one.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: New ADA MP-1 - questions
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

It seems you need a new battery, my kit will work if you want one.

Could be the bias isn't set correctly, mail me so  I can tell you what to check.

You see this at startup on the display, it's either 1.36, 1.37, 1.38, 2.00 or 2.01.

tnipe

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thanks, sent you an email!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

It's worth getting the latest EPROM v2.01 from MJMP (if you don't have it already).  It's an easy swapout and gives you some additional factory presets and some program save and load to PC via midi capability.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

tnipe

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I'm definitely getting the latest eprom. Any other must have mods I should get while I'm at it? I don't think I'm gonna go for anything that radically changes the sound.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

The rear jack mod is worth doing as the front jack takes the most ware over time.  The noise mods are useful but depends how much noise you have, most noticeable at high gain settings.  The MDRT is also a very worthwhile mod but it does change the sound, really opens up the dynamics of the MP-1.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Tnipe

I send you an email, let me know if you got it, I had some problems sending it.

The problem with the chorus is that the bias trimpot is not set correctly, it's at the 1 'o clock position, should be on the 11 'o clock position.

tnipe

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

The fix with the trimpot solved the chorus problem. I will be buying some parts from MarshallJMP to fix it up even further O0

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Cool  :whoohoo!: :thumb-up:

tnipe

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Just an update, I got the noise mod done, rear jack mod, plus an overhaul by an amp tech, great stuff. Invaluable input from MarshallJMP.

But is there a way to get more gain? New tubes? I don't need much gain, but I'm using 10/10 on the overdrive settings on the Tube OD channel, and I'm barely getting an overdriven sound. Not anything close to high gain.

It was kind of like this when I first got it, but suddenly when I changed some settings, it had a bunch of gain! And now it's back to little gain.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

With OD1 and OD2 set to 10/10 you should have heaps of gain regardless of tube choice.  Some tubes are higher gain than others but what you describe (barely getting an overdriven sound) indicates something isn't working properly.  Do you remember what settings you changed to get a bunch of gain?  If you re-load the factory presets:LOAD ALL 69 PRESETS:
1. Press the STORE button. lt will light.
2. Press the BANK button and while holding the BANK button down press the number 1 button.
3. The display will read "Presets Loaded" When the display returns to a program number, all 69 factory presets have, been restored.Patch 1 (Marshall) should have lots of gain.There are also trim pots for the gain (see attached).It possible there is an issue with the tubes (one or both), a pair of new known/tested 12AX7s will rule that in/out.  There's lots of choices for tubes (see tube section) but a pair of high gain JJs from a reputable supplier (who tests their tubes) are a good start and work well in MP-1.  If the issue (low gain) persists then something else is not right.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Could be the tubes or maybe the vactrols, these control the gain. If you look on the left side of the unit you will see 2 small black boxes with 2 wires on top going to the pcb. Make sure these wires don't touch each other.

tnipe

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Thanks guys, I'll check it out. Any suggestions for European tube dealers?

tnipe

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I got a hold of a pair of JJ 12AX7's - but nothing has changed unfortunately. I also did the preset restore, which didn't change anything.

I identified the vactrols I think, and the two wires doesn't touch on either of them.

I noticed while playing around with the trimpots that very little happens when turning the OD2 trimpot. Also if I turn OD2 from 0 to 10.0 in the settings, there's just a little bump in volume, no gain increase really. Can this be relevant? I swapped tubes 1 and 2 just to see if one of them was faulty, but the same result happened.

Thanks again for the help guys. This is getting to be quite a project!

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Dumb question; does the battery replacement mod require any soldering?
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up