ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 3TM Patches  (Read 48603 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: 3TM Patches
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Well i must say it sounds quite different trough my rig.This shows that there are a lot of variables that make up your sound.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hey RG try this version of Action (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyeybV4iPJA), I don't like the clip much and the album version is better (particularly tail out). Ravens version isn't too bad either.

3TM patch sounds quite good, I put a bit of TC M One XL delay/rev on it for the 2nd listen (nice). But really messy playing man (just joshing you, playing is very good, I'm sure there are lots of guitarist that wish they could play that well LOL). Nice squeals, still a little middy though (what cab did you select ?), personally I'd up the bass, mid = 0 0r -2, Treb = 4, Pres = 8. I recon that will make it less conservative (more on the edge, but hey that's what I like) like the tail out solo in Little Memory (but is MP2  >:D ) but to help describe what I'm saying. And I think I dig in (with pick) a bit more than you do ??

Anyway, nice usable patch go MJMP, @ MJMP how does this compare to how you sound with this (your) patch ?? (clip would be nice BTW ?).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Well i must say it sounds quite different trough my rig.This shows that there are a lot of variables that make up your sound.
I missed this as I replied at the same time, I was emailing GR about that last night. so many things make a difference, Guitar, PUs, Tubes, poweramps (you use your Marshalls (poweramp stage only) IIRC ?), cabs/speakers and what you put into your fingers (picking and fretting), all makes a difference. So we need a clip MJMP (if your up for it ?) then we can hear how it's intended to sound  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Well i have less mids and more gain (or distortion).Altough your sound is also pretty good.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Yes %100 agreed.

First of all you guys know this is a direct recording setup?  Well this is 3TM > GT5 (nothing on except subtle reverb) > EPSI > Cab sim > Multitrack

I let Richard hear a different clip the other other day.  It was even more mid rangey, nasal perhaps but I sometimes actually like this :)  honky tone and such haha.  The cab sim I had that day was 2x12" jbl d120.  With that impulse I used there was no info on how the cab had been mic'd or what mic type had been used.  To get more grit in there I selected something with a little more bite.

The speaker I selected this time was another JBL d120, the kind from a fender twin.  I didn't select it for any other reason than it was the first one that sounded brighter than the one I had used before. However this had been mic'd very close and on axis.  It was also through a Electrovoice RE20 mic.  I just was flicking through the speakers I have (I have 1000's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I have never tried all of them) and found that one.

I'm sure I could easily select about 10 more and get different results.  Like I mean very different.

The other thing I would mention is I tend to just have a weird unique tone sometimes all to myself.  So many factors to think off that can create so many flavours of tone.  It's crazy.

MJMP the guitar I used has passive 30 year old pickups in there, so they are not highput at all anymore where as they may have been at one point.  I'm sure this is where the gain difference is most likely coming from between that patch with your rig and that patch with my rig.

I liked the patch, I like the mid range, I don't really scoop heavily in my band.  I found a little bit of compression (not recorded on that clip by the way) really helped smooth out the feel for me.  Like just a bit to smooth out the attack.  I really liked it even more then.  I'm defo keeping that patch and working around it for things.

Hey RG try this version of Action (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyeybV4iPJA), I don't like the clip much and the album version is better (particularly tail out). Ravens version isn't too bad either.

3TM patch sounds quite good, I put a bit of TC M One XL delay/rev on it for the 2nd listen (nice). But really messy playing man (just joshing you, playing is very good, I'm sure there are lots of guitarist that wish they could play that well LOL

Hey man it was messy in places, string noise and shit but some of it was nice if I do say so lol. When I mess about on guitar sometimes it does sound like I can't actually play the dam thing.  I'm trying to play cleaner and with more control these days but sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not.  I didn't know what to dam well play and I kept thinking shit I can't have something too shitty.  I couldn't string anything along long enough and I didn't want to play any of my songs.

will check out the Version of Action.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, all the variables make a difference, but I've found over the years it's mostly in your fingers/picking (which will change and adapt to other variables to get "your" tone (or try to get toward it, no matter what you play through, or even acoustic (no gadget help..))). And I can hear your tone, and it's different to mine (as it should be LOL it's you :thumb-up: ) (and when MJMP gives us a clip  >:D ), we can hear how he uses it for his tone. It was a really good base patch though (IMHO), and first I've heard 3TM sounds (that I'm aware of). So very edifying from my perspective.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

OD1 OD2 master Bass mid treble presence
Rhythm          6.0   7.0      5.5     9    -2    -2        6           Dist tube

here is a recording with same set up as before using MJMPs rhythm sound

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

my own patch, kinda thrash metal

Tube Dist Channel
OD1  OD2  MAS   B   M  T  P
4.8    10     7.5    6  -6  4  8

same guitar same settings as the rest of the clips.  For the music style I'm plying more in this clip a shorter reverb is perhaps in order.  That's a 0.8secnd reverb I should may be take down to 0.4 to tighten it up.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, nice patch  :thumb-up: , reverb sounded ok to me. I wonder what a bit more bass would sound like ?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Just had another listen, turned up bass and hi on my desk ~ 2 o'clock, apart from loundness, seemed to add some nice cut and umph. Could try more bass and presence ? my 2 cents worth..

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Just had another listen, turned up bass and hi on my desk ~ 2 o'clock, apart from loundness, seemed to add some nice cut and umph. Could try more bass and presence ? my 2 cents worth..

there is two patches there Richard, I did another clip of MJMP patch but his rhythm one instead.

I am reluctant to add bass into any di sound because there is no point since it all gets stripped off if it's getting mixed with music. It can sound nice on it's own a patch with more bass but I generally set up a patch DI style to suit recording purposes.  Even then I still put a hi pass filter on to remove more bass.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Rhythm          6.0   7.0      5.5     9    -2    -2        6           Dist tube

I totally dig that tone!!! Just....your pups seem to be a bit lower in output...
Try OD1 7.0 and OD2 8.0

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

I totally dig that tone!!! Just....your pups seem to be a bit lower in output...
Try OD1 7.0 and OD2 8.0

I will try that instead.  The reason my pups are so low output is because they are 30 years old.  I tried MJMPs patch with a guitar with a dp100 in there and f*ck me there is a whole different ball game.  Weirdly I like both.  I like the weaker more dynamic sound and I like the pushed like f*ck dp100 super highoutput sound.  DP100 the best thing I ever done to a guitar!!

Hey SC you use dimarzio what are your views on the models of pickups you use from them?  I am thinking of swapping the 30 year old pup in my westone out with something else.  I ususally go for a dp100 but I may as well consider something else.  The reason I haven't swapped it is because that guitar is a 30 year old collectible classic from a brand no longer making guitars.  Stock setup as it is so it will be worth top dollar the older it gets. matsumoku's finest.  Not sure anyone is familiar with this factory around here though.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey SC you use dimarzio what are your views on the models of pickups you use from them?  I am thinking of swapping the 30 year old pup in my westone out with something else.  I ususally go for a dp100 but I may as well consider something else.  The reason I haven't swapped it is because that guitar is a 30 year old collectible classic from a brand no longer making guitars.  Stock setup as it is so it will be worth top dollar the older it gets. matsumoku's finest.  Not sure anyone is familiar with this factory around here though.

PM'ed....also check this post

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Squier Stagemaster dp100 with MJMP Rhythm patch

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up