ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: normal humbuckers with low noise like stacked humbuckers  (Read 3292 times)

El Chiguete

I didn't came to realize this untill I was talking to a friend of mine about how I have a SD Hot Rails and a Dz HS3 in my Stagey and that both of them have WAY WAY WAY less noise than my normal humbuckers on my guitars! I'm talking about both high gain and outside noise (EMI and others). He told me that this is because the way the stack coils are by origin less suceptible to have noise in the signal. So is there any normall size humbucker made like a stacked single coil to keep noise at minimum?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey El, I'm not curtain about the newer SD hotrails but the original ones were side by side coils, the new one I bought recently is sealed in plastic case but apart from the rails being wider than on the one I replaced (which I've had forever), they still apear side by side.  I've seen new SD single coil sized PU using "stacked coils", I wasn't aware they worked any better than side by side for noise/hum reduction.
The basic design of a "humbucker" is to have one coil wound the opposite direction so it's 180 deg out of phase thus cancelling the 50/60hz hum (phase cancellation works more/better at low frequencies).
Another difference is in single coil strat style PUs the pole pieces are magnets (alnico generally) where in most humbucker sized PUs (but also the SD hot rails) the magnet is along the bottom and the pole pieces are metal (Iron) which bring the magnetic field to the strings.  With hot rails it's one continuous metal rail inside each coil and one magnet at/along the bottom.  In some humbuckers, there's a separate magnet under each coil and some just one bigger wider magnet.
But there are lots of PU designs. And if stacking coils works better ... :thumb-up:
The new SD silver series looks interesting where they are using silver coil wire rather than copper ($$$ though) but silver is a better conductor than copper and used quite a bit in very high end (very expensive) audio cables.  I know a guy who spent $6k on 2 x RCA <> RCA short patch leads (I think for his SuperAudio player to preamp).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic

I didn't came to realize this untill I was talking to a friend of mine about how I have a SD Hot Rails and a Dz HS3 in my Stagey and that both of them have WAY WAY WAY less noise than my normal humbuckers on my guitars! I'm talking about both high gain and outside noise (EMI and others). He told me that this is because the way the stack coils are by origin less suceptible to have noise in the signal. So is there any normall size humbucker made like a stacked single coil to keep noise at minimum?
Strange  :???: I havenĀ“t noticed this in any of my pickup (have used some stacked coils in the past).
Now I'm using only B&B L-500 & L45s (side by side rail HB in SC housing with SC sound).

2 things that may give a reason for the phenomena you're describing
-1 coils are closer together, therefor the interference they pick up are closer matched, therefor better cancelled?
- Usually the large Humbuckers have higher outputs than their matching stacked coils (bridge vs neck/middle), so the higher output makes for louder interference leak?

Peter
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Peter, makes sense what you say  :thumb-up: I wonder if anyone (I expect they might) has tried winding the 2 coils together in the one coil space (or if this would completely phase cancel the signal).
Also of note many newer PUs come with a separate earth which would/could indicate some shielding possibly?
Larger HB also have a broader PU area/focus.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up