ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

How do you set your Effects Send?

(1/3) > >>

rickeb1:
I have a 3TM, and am running an ISP Decimator Pro Rack G in the effects loop of the 3TM to bring down the noise level.  I'm wondering what volume I should set the effects send knob to in sending the signal to the Decimator?  I currently have it set very, very low, but that is more by accident than by a conscious decision, so I'm looking to see if anyone has any thoughts on the optimal setting for this.

Thanks!

~ Rick

rickeb1:
Anyone using the effects send that can chime in on how they have the volume knob set and why?  Thanks!

rnolan:
Hey rickeb1, first, the Mp1 loop is/can be a bit tricky, not everyone likes it, (i.e. it's a serial (brakes your connection)) loop with one adjustment pot set to achieve unity gain.  That said it can work well, depends.  Your using a noise gate device (why ?, are you running very high gain patches ?), 3 TMs are usually optimised for lower noise ??? maybe the rest of your gain structure isn't optimal ? (how are you patching your gadgets ?, i.e. what goes to what etc..), will help me get my head around your specific set up...
Cheers Richard
PS the MP1 loop level control is an "opposing" dual ganged pot, when you turn it up (turns up input) it turns down output and vis versa.

I'd start with the decimator knob(s) at half way and try it in either direction.  But I still question why you need a decimator (N/R) with a fully modded 3TM ?, BTW it will (always) sound better going through "less" things.

rickeb1:
Hey Richard, thanks for the reply!  My setup is as basic as it gets: guitar -> 3TM -> poweramp, with the Decimator in the loop of the 3TM.  The 3TM may be optimised for low noise, but mine is still noisier than I would like.  I don't normally run super-high gain settings (although sometimes I'd like to :)).  My most typical setting uses the Distortion setting with OD1 and OD2 both set at 4.8, and the Master Gain at 6. 

I've had some correspondence with MarshallJMP (great guy!) about the noise, until it got to where he asked me to measure voltages across some components which I have no idea how to do (no electronics background).  So, the Decimator works well enough to quiet the noise while not messing with my tone in any noticeable way.

I didn't know about the "opposing" nature of the effect send pot.  If that's the case, then maybe it doesn't matter that much what it is set at, as long as it is enough to drive the Decimator, and a low setting seems to work fine for that.

Thanks!

~ Rick

rnolan:
Hey Rick, no worries, a more elaborate fix (fair bit of work though) is to do what Zsoli has done (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=311.15#lastPost) and replace all the opp amps, you'd probably need to get a tech to do this for you though, also not sure what it cost him in the end, but from what he says, it really cleans the unit up.

I guess ADA went for that loop pot setup to suit pedals with no in/out gain controls so as you increase the loop send it decreases the return etc.  The idea would be adjust it to the point where the decimator has good input level (better signal to noise ratio) and turn the decimator output such that there is no increase/decrease in overall level when the loop is in compared to when it is out.  I know Steve (RandallRG, and others) uses his 3TM loop so may have some good tips.  I never used it when I had a MP1 and I know MJMP isn't overly fond of the MP1 loop as it can be tricky to set.

When I google the Decomator pro G it has 2 channels, if yours is like that you could put it between the MP1 and poweramp e.g. guitar > MP1> MP1 A out to Dec Chan 1 in, MP1 B out to Dec Chan 2 in, then Dec Chan 1/2 outs to poweramp A/B ins unless you just want in on specific patches.
The switch on each channel (+4db or -10db) is to set the decimator gain (input sensitivity, output level), so +4db for line level things, -10db for instrument level things.  If you put it between the MP1 and poweramp set this to +4db, in the MP1 loop it will work either way but on the -10db setting you'd turn the loop send down, on +4db turn the loop send up.
Cheers Richard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version