Non ADA Gear > Basses

SUB ray5-ws First impessions

<< < (2/8) > >>

Peter H. Boer:
5001, then you probably have an Ivory 2 series, as the original 5001 (which I also have, and which is also modified by Machinator) is strictly mic input.
The valve (on the original version) however is fully in the path though, not just mixed in.

Glad to see a guitarist fall for a bass  >:D
A well, I'm a bass player and have 5 guitars (2 homebuild) about as well  :D

rnolan:
Man I don't know what it is about that bass (it's got (big) personality, if you know what I mean), it just kept looking at me (am I being weird ?, play me, play me...), I'd done the initial set up, it was fine..., then I sat down and it kept beckoning me, so took all the string actions down one by one till they buzzed, and then back up 3 little turns, mmmmm by the end I couldn't stop playing it, then plugged it in through the TLA./monitors..and played it until I had to go to sleep (totally captivated).

TLA Ivory 5001, it doesn't say the series, but as you say must be 2 series, it's 4 separate inputs/outputs (1/4" instrument levels on the front; xlr mic ( phantom switch)/ or balanced XLR/unbalanced T/S mic/line in on the back) but no mix buss', sounds sooo nice though (mmm passes that test in spades).

(The valve (on the original version) however is fully in the path though, not just mixed in.), this I would prefer although this 5001 does sound good.

Man that SUB bass is great, only one I like better (to date) is one I made, Maton style EB4 body shape (all in sugar maple), straight through neck, 33" (the recipient, she's small), neck fender jazz dimensions...ebony board.... It came out well.

I do like to play bass, it's a bit hard on the fingers (sometimes), but I love how it sits in a song/feel/grove.

Peter H. Boer:

--- Quote from: rnolan on March 22, 2014, 10:59:01 AM ---TLA Ivory 5001, it doesn't say the series, but as you say must be 2 series, it's 4 separate inputs/outputs (1/4" instrument levels on the front; xlr mic ( phantom switch)/ or balanced XLR/unbalanced T/S mic/line in on the back) but no mix buss', sounds sooo nice though (mmm passes that test in spades).

(The valve (on the original version) however is fully in the path though, not just mixed in.), this I would prefer although this 5001 does sound good.

--- End quote ---
Yes you have the Ivory 2, as I do not have 1/4" inputs available.
Looking up the manual, the block diagram does show the tube to be fully in the path though.
http://www.interstage.dk/Sider/Produkter/Brochure_manual/TLA/TLA_PA5001-2_man.pdf

--- Quote from: rnolan on March 22, 2014, 10:59:01 AM ---Man that SUB bass is great, only one I like better (to date) is one I made, Maton style EB4 body shape (all in sugar maple), straight through neck, 33" (the recipient, she's small), neck fender jazz dimensions...ebony board.... It came out well.

I do like to play bass, it's a bit hard on the fingers (sometimes), but I love how it sits in a song/feel/grove.

--- End quote ---
Stop wimping about it being "hard on the fingers" try a 36" scale 6-string fretless with roundwounds  :lol:
We'll make a bassplayer out of you yet  :thumb-up:

Attached my Ivory-1 series 5001, which has a tube for each channel. The Ivory 2 series IIRC has only 2 tubes where each channel only uses hal a tube.

rnolan:
In the 5001 manual it talks about turning down the output and winding up the input to get more valve involved, Very nice sound though.  I going away this week but when I get back I'll try the NT5s through it with acoustic guitar (the one I built).

Hey my fingers stood up ok, I liked that bass so much I played it quite a while (just not used to it).  A fretless 6 string 36" with round wounds (I don't like ground or blahh (no tone) flat wounds) would be lots of fun.

Peter H. Boer:

--- Quote from: rnolan on March 22, 2014, 07:34:21 PM ---In the 5001 manual it talks about turning down the output and winding up the input to get more valve involved, Very nice sound though.  I going away this week but when I get back I'll try the NT5s through it with acoustic guitar (the one I built).

--- End quote ---
Aha, that's why you thoughtit's wired parallel. No it's in series and upping the gain just lets the tube work harder, and thus colour the tone more.

--- Quote from: rnolan on March 22, 2014, 07:34:21 PM ---Hey my fingers stood up ok, I liked that bass so much I played it quite a while (just not used to it).  A fretless 6 string 36" with round wounds (I don't like ground or blahh (no tone) flat wounds) would be lots of fun.

--- End quote ---
See, you're getting there. Next SUB purchase will be for yourself  >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version