ADA Preamps > MP-1 Classic

My Classic is BACK

(1/6) > >>

Dante:
My MP-1 Classic just returned from across the pond (The Atlantic Ocean...and I live near the Pacific). I gotta shout out to you-know-who for fixing her up

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: MJMP
You are a Saint

I slapped the rig together late last night and it all worked perfectly (gains were set at 10.0 / 10.0 / 2.5, so I had to dial them down immediately). Got the thing sounding raunchy, snarly, and pissed off (in a good way) in no time at all. Success!

This morning, with a cup of coffee, I put together three dirty patches: Classic rock (midrangy, old Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson tones), Modern (more bottom end, brutal distortion that can easily be dialed back with the volume knob), and Full on Metal (all the lows, sliced mids, and shards of glass to the face)

I think these tubes are giving me a light fuzz tone when I crank the ODs. I like cranking one to about 7.0-8.0, leaving the other around 5.0. I can get some open sounding chords with a bunch of grit that way. Holding a chord sounds like a growling beast

I am just scratching the surface, I need to come back with a full report. Gimme a day or two...maybe after the weekend

rnolan:
Hey Dante,  :whoohoo!: :thumb-up:

Dante:
Plopped my butt on a 1x12 cab in front of the Classic rig, coffee in hand, and proceeded to write a clean SS patch. I had forgotten about the Tube Clean voicing (been too long). Great half-gain grit there….I had always used the Brown channel for that, but no more.

The Classic is just as easy as I remember to program. Considering there are no knobs, it’s pretty quick to grab the setting you need and go.

Once I get a solid bank of 10 patches, I’ll turn up the Marantz HiFi and jam - that’s when the fine tuning starts and I start wrestling levels to get them all playing nice with each other.

More to come…

Dante:
I have a gig on Saturday. I am not really ready to gig so much, but it's outside and it's at a BREWFEST, so I'm in. :cheers:

We are running direct into the board, not because we're using in-ear-monitors, but because the singer wants to 'control the mix' more. He's not a great soundman, I see trouble on the horizon. So, rather than trust my 20watt Peavey head running direct, I'm bringing something big enough to keep up with an outside environment, should we have PA issues  ::)

So, I'm practicing those songs by running the MP-1 Classic directly into my laptop. That's the sound coming out of the direct out, that's what it should sound like in the PA...should.

That said, I'm really liking what I'm hearing. I've got a great array of tones to choose from, and I'm only using 5 patches.

#20 = Crystal clean (SS voice)
#21 = Dirty, Gritty Clean (Tube clean voice)
#22 = Midrangy Classic Rhythm (Brown voice)
#23 = Bottom Heavy Modern Rock (Dist voice)
#24 = Scooped Mid Metal (Dist voice)

The Brown sound is great when it's almost totally cranked. I think mine is around 8.0/7.5/5.0 or something. The overall tones are fantastic again (THANK YOU MJMP!!), and I still have that kinda fuzz tone that I had before, which ain't bad. I have a feeling it's the tube selection, which I can't remember right now either.

The patches were written with my "les paul guitar" which is actually an Ibanez Artist with a set neck. Mahogany body, maple cap, 3pc maple neck. Gold top paint job, black on the back, MIK.

Peter H. Boer:
Good the classic is working again.

Enjoy the gig  O0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version