Non ADA Gear > Basses

New Bass Day

(1/6) > >>

Harley Hexxe:
   Hey Gang,

I just got my new bass guitar today, so I'm sharing that here.

It's a Fender Deluxe Active Precision Bass Special, made in Mexico, and I got it for $150 below the going rate for them.

I spent about a half hour doing a little bit of minor tweaking to it, then tried it out in the AUX input of my GK 250ML, just to get a quick idea what it sounds like. So...what is my impression of it so far?

:whoohoo!:

Bear in mind the AUX input of the GK has no volume, tone or any kind of controls at all. It's just a fixed level input really designed to plug in a Sony Walkman, or something similar.

This bass is a TONE MONSTER!  It's definitely a lot of bang for the buck. Just by using the volume, blend and EQ controls on the guitar, I can dial in a wide palette of bass tones, and it sounds delicious!

I've always wanted a P-Bass, but never owned one until now. Up until about 8 years ago I did have a Gibson Victory Bass, just to use for tracking bass guitar, but the tone never really did anything for me, so I didn't regret getting rid of it. This bass gives me the classic P-Bass tones and a whole lot more, with just small adjustments to the controls.

I'm digging it :thumb-up:

Harley 8)

rnolan:
Nice one Harley  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!: .  When you get your MB-1 rig working you'll be in bass heaven.

Harley Hexxe:
I'm already having fun jamming to some of my favorite classic rock tunes with it :banana-guitar:

Zilthy:
I used to have an American Fender P-Bass some 30 some years ago, and that is one of the few guitars I wish I still had.   That one, and the Nuno N4 I had in the early/mid 90s.   Still kicking myself over those two.

But a good P-Bass is just a plain joy to play.

Harley Hexxe:
   Hey Zilthy,

You're absolutely correct. A good P-Bass is a joy to play. I wanted the classic P-Bass sound though, which so many other basses are lacking. It does make a difference in recording and composition. It kind of strange really, you don't really think about it until you get the right instrument in your hands and use it, then the light bulb goes on in your head and you say to yourself: "Yeah, that's what was missing!"
               If there was any downside to this bass at all, to me it would be the Pao Ferro fret board. This is the first, (and last), instrument I will ever own with a fret board made of this wood. It sounds good which is the most important thing about this bass, but the fret board feels dry, and a bit rough, with a grainy feel to it. Almost like someone made the fret board from wood taken off the side of an old abandoned barn, like the kind you see on the side of a country road that is still barely standing. Other than that, it's a killer instrument.

Harley 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version