Miscellaneous > Rants & Raves

What is it with "amp repair" guys?

<< < (2/5) > >>

MarshallJMP:
Let's hope it doesn't take 4 months to arrive  ;D

rabidgerry:
Ok so not the same kind thing but similar story, I know of an amp repair guy and I asked him to take a look at my Rockman Sustainor (guess who ended up looking at it for me  :lol: :???: ).  Anyways the guy was initially up for it and thought he could look at it.  Later on he got back to me and as he had never heard of the piece of gear had decided not to look at it.  I remember thinking had I brought it too him it would have been in his hands and he couldn't back out, but since he hadn't got it yet and I assume he really hasn't heard of it he decided it was out of his league.

I've another item rotting away I'd love looked at and I think I asked him to check this out too!  It's Boss GL-100 and he just flat out declined that one because he had never heard of it either!  That's really  :poop: in my opinion.  But if it was a valve amp apparently he's there  :lol: !!

Dante:
Yeah, that sounds about right Gerry.

"I can solder capacitors and stuff, as long as they're not on a circuit board." 

—Amp Repair Guy :facepalm:

Harley Hexxe:
I hear you Gerry,

Valve Amps are relatively simple electronics, and while a guy might be able to do magic with valve amps, if you show him something with digital electronics, then you might as well be speaking to him in Swahili. I know a few guys like that, but they will tell you up front, they can't work on that stuff.

Like MJMP says, they just aren't educated enough to go the complete distance in modern day electronics.

Harley 8)

rabidgerry:
Ahh I to have an "auld bitch" (this means have a moan basically) on this thread about a guy I asked to look at my Peavey classic 50/50 power amp.

Basically he said no because he doesn't like Peavey as they do things weird apparently.  Same guy did fix an issue with my frets on one guitar and I was happy about that and when I saw he did amps stuff I figured I'd ask.  But no Peavey, wtf?

He's American too!!  What gives?  Thought he'd be happy I'm using US made equipment  :(

So yeah go figure that out.  Same guy is also a bit to quick to jump to the conclusion of buying a new guitar rather than carry out the mods I want done on some of my axes.  I don't get this attitude at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version