Miscellaneous > Rants & Raves

What is it with "amp repair" guys?

(1/5) > >>

Dante:
I don't know how these guys stay in business sometimes. This isn't the first time this has happened to me, so I gotta assume all these guys are like this;

I bring an amp to a guy, and they end up having it for OVER FOUR MONTHS. He says it's done, was supposed to send me a bill and ship it yesterday....nothing. I emailed him today, telling him I'd pay him as soon as he sends me a bill....still waiting. He's making this a lot harder and longer than it needs to be.

When I brought my MP-2 to a local guy a few years ago, he had it for EIGHT months. Only to call me later and say he couldn't find the parts to fix it. I brought it to "the authorized ADA repair guy" in the SF Bay area and he had it for another SIX MONTHS. A year after that, it's noisy again (smh)

Rant over

bunkyloo:
Honestly most don't and won't work on anything with IC's on them. I am in southern California and can't find anyone to step to a mp-2 or classic or anything like that. A mp-1 is a little more friendly to a select few but most of these guys want to work on old fenders and marshalls wich is a different story. There are a ton of vintage tube amp guys but anything digital is lacking. I took ma mp-2 to a go and he looks at it and says (this thing has tubes in it!) totally lost. yep it is a problem.

Dante:
My Hughes & Kettner is in the Palm Desert. Not that I'd recommend the guy for a timely repair, but he may be near you & he's familiar with the H&K midi programmability features. That's the part that throws the local guys. They see another PCB (or two or three) in there and go ...whoa....wait a minute.

The guy is gonna take 4 months to get $200. Maybe 5 months...who knows. What an unnecessary saga (sigh).

Maybe he can fix an MP-2 with a little help from us on here?

MarshallJMP:
Hey Dante

I promise I will fix your classic sooner then 4 months  ;D

But you are right as soon as there is digital stuff involved they s**t their pants. You can't believe how many butchered mp-1's I got in that got in the hands of those so called techs. Sometimes I think they only have a 500W soldering iron.

I guess the problem is education, most are self taught and didn't have a proper electronics education or degree and only know some basic analog (tube) stuff.

Dante:

--- Quote from: MarshallJMP on April 14, 2021, 01:37:16 PM ---I promise I will fix your classic sooner then 4 months  ;D

--- End quote ---

I haven't had that thing for over a year, take your time

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version