Non ADA Gear > Guitars

NGD! Mexican Strat Plus Top :0

<< < (6/6)

Dante:
I do not.

I do hate the sharp little string height adjustment screws. I tried putting a dot of silicone on a couple (high e string) and it was a terrible idea. It didn't leave a bead like I wanted, and it totally deadened the sound of the string. I had to take it off, sacrifice a toothbrush to clean out the silicone, and restring. Glad I only tried one.

The trem is very stable, and I cannot explain why. It makes nonesense. And, it should sound like a chainsaw buzzing (it's small), but it rings like a bell. In fact, I noticed my springs warbling while tuning when I had it unplugged.

Every 'screw in' bar I ever had, had some slop in it unless you had it TIGHT. I bought an aftermarket replacement arm with the collar attachment for my floyd and it works great. The Vega arm doesn't flop when the collar is loose, but it's easy to push outta the way. It has a plastic shim inside that holds it in place. Very nice craftsmanship, very well built machinery. I'm curious to see if the blade edge wears out with use.

Harley Hexxe:
Yes Dante,

I remember you saying how the height adjustment screws were a pain in the a$$ when you first posted about it. My local Luthier has a solution for that. Replace the set screws with shorter ones. IIRC, the saddles on this bridge are machined, so that means slightly shorter screws will end up below the surface. That should be alright.

It's good to know that it's stable, and the fact that it rings like a bell means it's made of good quality steel. The fact that your springs warble is mostly due to the resonance of the body of your guitar, but the transfer of that vibration through the hardware is a good indication of the quality of materials in the bridge. That was something else that I was skeptical about, the size of the bridge and the rather smallish block under it. It does kind of go against the physics of what we know about electric guitars. It sounds like it's very dense steel.

If the blade is hardened steel that is anything like my guitar picks, it won't wear out, but it makes me wonder about the "V" groove of the block it rests in. Possibly, that could wear with time.

Harley 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version