Non ADA Gear > Amps

Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

(1/9) > >>

Dante:
Just pulled the trigger.

Midi programmable 50w tube combo. I'm in.

The amp hasn't even shipped yet, I'm all excited about it showing up. I'll keep ya posted. I may have a set of tubes waiting when it gets here.

Trying to decide if I just use the onboard FX in it (delay, chorus, flange) and my midi pedal. (It has phantom power through the 7 pin midi cable!!) OR...if I use my Boss MS3 FX, and use the MS3 as a midi controller. It has more FX inside, and a couple FX loops. Can't wait to tinker.

If I remember correctly, Panda has a Switchblade combo too...

UPDATE: I just realized that this thing is almost an ADA TriTube...it has programmable Tubey Preamp/Poweramp, onboard Chorus, Flange, and Tremolo, Reverb, Delay. The only thing(s) to add; wireless transmitter, Pitch Fork pedal. I only use 2-3 patches for each song, I can easily have 4 patches per song with the stock footswitch....seems like a win/win.

The ONLY drawback: no direct out, gotta use the mic. Both of my amps are that way (well, my other one doesn't sound great direct....so)

rnolan:
Hey Dante, nice  :whoohoo!: hope it sounds good for you  :thumb-up:

Dante:
From what I've heard online, it's gonna kill.  >:D

I'll run through a demo, record a video. (I'm amazed at how many people actually watch the ones I've done about old amps I've demo'd)

Dante:
Whelp, I got the amp the other day. It looks just like the pix, in decent shape, but been around the stage a few times.

It's noisy.  :facepalm:

I tried new tubes, still noisy. Really noisy. On all voices...really amplified on the Lead and Ultra channels...

So, I reached out to my local amp repair shops in town - nobody will touch it. They only work on Marshall, Fender, Peavey, etc. They will not touch a Line6, H&K, Blackstar, Egnator, etc. So, I had to get online and find somebody that will service an H&K. I found a guy in Southern CA (9 hour drive away) and called him. He said I can ship it to him for repairs and get it shipped back.

The saga continues....to be continued...

Dante:
Bump: The saga is over.

I shipped it to the Palm Desert, CA for $80. So, we know my bill is gonna be $160 worth of shipping. Mind you, I'm fixing an amp I've never really 'had'....or used...just making it more expensive at every turn  :hair-out:

Whelp, here we are, 4.5 months later and I just picked up my amp from the local FedEx office. (of course, they put it on the counter upside down - the UP arrows pointing down  :facepalm: )

I got it home, unpacked everything, hooked it up to my ADA footswitch and created 7 patches about as quick as an MP-1...possibly quicker, because, knobs. Turn all the knobs where you like 'em, push the STORE button, push the number on your pedal. Done. So easy, so quick.

The cleans on this thing are amazing - as good as (or dare I say better than) the MP-2 cleans. It's nice. The gains are everything you want/need. It gets a great Brown sound on the 'classic' voicing with the gain a little less than half. Turn up the gain and it starts to snarl. The Crunch is BEEFY, the Ultra is...well, over the top. You can dial it back and get great downtune metal tones that don't flub out.

I must add; It has all new tubes and a new speaker. The repair guy said the power tubes I just bought were leaking, so he put some Svetlana tubes in it after trying several options he had at his shop. Good choice, that thing sounds great and is very low noise, even on the Ultra. I get some singing feedback that is really nice. The new speaker is a WGS G12c/s

Now, I need to figure out how to assign the effects via Midi CC numbers to use my Quad switch to toggle them on/off in each patch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version