Non ADA Gear > Guitars

Seymour Duncan Invaders?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Iperfungus:
But the wiring is correct now, according to the Ibanez diagram?

The on/on/on switches should connect HB coils in series/parallel or split...no out of phase there.

Original Super 58s are awesome pickups!

rnolan:
Hey Dante, sounding thin would imply that its coils are either in parallel or split.  If you do a check like Max suggested to measure the impedance, full HB should be 16 - 17k ohms (as 2 x 8k ohm coils), in parallel it should read ~ 4k ohms and split should be one coil ~8k ohms.  I'm not a huge fan of the JB.  I put one in my SG when I first bought it.  It wasn't thin sounding but the epiphone PU I was replacing sounded better, it had more of an individual character.  I was mostly changing it out as it was a bit microphonic.  In the end I put in Gibson 57 re-issues, nice PUs but expensive, back then they were $300 AUD each, although I think they have got a bit cheaper these days  :dunno: .

Kim:
Wow, Dante!  That's a pretty crazy amount of options in that schematic.  The amount of diddling around (the fun kind) and finding what sounds like what.....well, it almost looks like trying to crack a combination lock!   :lol:

A few years ago I opted to upgrade my wiring schematic for some more options (3-way switch, 1 push/pull vol pot to change neck humbucker to series/parallel hum) when I swapped out the EMG pups I had in my guitars for nearly 20 years for the Dimarzio ones I have now.  A while later, I rewired each guitar for slightly different options (3-way switch, 1 push/pull vol pot that splits both neck and bridge humbuckers) and that's where I'll stay now.  I like some options, but then I fiddle with them too much it seems. :lol:  In fact, if I should get another guitar it will just be a Superstrat with FR style with 1 humbucker and 1 standard volume.

One of my Jackson Kelly guitars came stock with Invader pups.  They were not bad at all, but before I started gigging with them I just changed them out for EMG pups anyway because (at that time) I liked the EMGs best so I never got to give them a fair chance.

Dante:
Kim, you and I live in a very small world...My gold top has no extra switches, but i installed some push/pull pots to split each p/u individually. I find that I like the neck PU split with the bridge in full Humbucker. Sounds pretty sweet. That guitar has a JB, btw...but it's a lot thicker in the body.....and, you're right about all the dang combinations available on the cherry sunburst...I love the options, but I end up using about 4 total - haha

Richard; I'll measure the PU...but either way, I am rewiring that whole dang guitar now that I have the proper diagram

Max; I haven't wired it up yet...very soon though, new switches are on the way  :thumb-up: As for original Super58s, they're not bad at all. I kept a couple in the neck positions of guitars that came with them (I've had a few). I found the JB to have a bit more clarity with distorted/overdriven chords in the bridge, so I bought more of those. I highly recommend the GuitarFetish pickup for the neck though, it's half the price of a SD Jazz and sounds really nice.

As far as the Invader being a thermonuclear device among PUs, I'm okay with really hot PUs. I have a couple older Ibanez that have some really hot PUs. One set of Flying Fingers (Super 80s I believe), and one set of IBZ (DiMarzio/Ibanez creations) that look very much like EMGs...but are passive. They are epoxy'd into solid black (plastic?) covers....just like EMGs without batteries.

So, I'm not afraid of a hot PU, your idle threats don't scare me  :headbanger:  - for $50, I'll try it out. I can totally sell it for that later if I hate it

Iperfungus:

--- Quote from: Dante on December 12, 2020, 09:19:46 AM --- So, I'm not afraid of a hot PU, your idle threats don't scare me  :headbanger:  - for $50, I'll try it out. I can totally sell it for that later if I hate it

--- End quote ---

So...rewire that guitar and set the world on fire!!!  :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version