Non ADA Gear > Guitars

Seymour Duncan Invaders?

(1/4) > >>

Dante:
Hey folks,

I have a guitar at home that's pretty thin and light. I think I put a SD JB in the bridge when I bought it (I'll find out when I get inside), and it's always sounded a bit thin and tinny for my tastes. I beef up the low EQ to compensate....but it always bugged me. I had no luck finding a wiring diagram when I first changed the pickups/switches/jacks....and feared I may have hooked it up wonky.

Well, some guy is selling an Invader online for cheap and it got me looking at that guitar again. Last night, after about 5 years of looking online...I FOUND THE DAMN WIRING DIAGRAM I NEEDED.

So, my question is, does anyone think this Invader might fatten up the sound of this thin guitar? I realize it's hard to know, because I may have just wired it up wrong in the first place

Your thoughts?

Iperfungus:
Which volume pot did you use there? 250K or 500K?

Remember: JB WANTS a 250K volume.

What's the guitar? Can you share the wiring diagram?

Invaders are not hot....they are a nuclear assault.
The are not the pickups I would choose to fatten my guitar's tone a little...they are metal monsters (and look ugly!).

If the volume is a 250K already and you don't like the tone, consider a Duncan Distortion if you want strong output or '59 (bridge) if you want vintage out.
Screamin' Demon and Custom 5 are right in the middle.
Pearly Gates is more midrange focused, so I assume it wouldn't fit your needings.

If the volume is a 500K, put a 250K there and you'll see...

Dante:
Thanks man, I appreciate that  :thumb-up:

When I wired up this guitar, I had no idea what I was doing...I couldn't find the schematic, I found something close and tried my best. I have never been all that happy with how thin it sounds, and that could be because of how I routed the micro switches... I'm attaching a pic of the guitar and the schematic I re-drew for clarity.

I'll keep you posted when I receive the new switches I ordered from StewMac.com...I have a bunch of pots in my parts bin, no idea what's in there, but I have JBs in a few guitars...this is the only 'thin' one.

Iperfungus:
Nice guitar!!!
Ibanez does some very nice guitarworks.

The wiring is a classic Les Paul wiring with coil splits.
Can you post pictures of controls cavity? Just to see the actual wiring and connections on push-pull pots.

Is it possibile that the JB there has a shorted coil? This would mean that it could be working as a single coil....or splitted, in other words. Does it hum?
The red and white wires are for split, in Duncan pickups.

If you get a tester, connect a cable to the guitar, select bridge pickup and measure impedance on the other side of the cable (at jack), you should read about 16-17 kOhm, if the JB is in full HB mode.

What's the neck pickup? Duncan?

I still suggest a 250K volume for the JB.
I love that pickup, but on a Les Paul with 500K volume it was like a rusted Gillette razor passed over glass...

Dante:
Thanks, she's pretty blingy

The micro switches are 3-way On/On/On:

Humbucker
Single coil
Out of phase

That's the tricky part-those dang switches. Ibanez had a wiring diagram from 1978 (the guitar is a 2006), which wasn't exactly the same...but it got me close.

Neck pickup: If I remember correctly, I either kept the original Super58 in the neck...or I may have put a GuitarFetish Vintage 2 Alnico II (great cheaper alternative to the Seymour Duncan Jazz).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version