ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Axe effx equivalant  (Read 3826 times)

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !
Is Axe effx equivalant
« on: Time Format »

Hey  all was wondering the thoughts on this as opposed to mp-1/2  tones on clean and OD. Like Axe 2 0r 3.

vansinn

Re: Is Axe effx equivalant
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Never had an AxeFX, but from the multitude clips I've heard, you can set it up to pretty much anything, provided you install the right IR's.
Someone made an MP-1 IR, so it'll sound kindof like an MP-1.
Kindof.. 'cause I don't think any electronics whatsoever will ever sound fully like the original, be this an MP-1/2, a Triaxis, a Twin Reverb, a Mesa... repeat and rinse..

That said, methinks the AxeFX, the masonic Kemper and the Torpedo devices likely are the best approaches to the real things, especially when flexibility of gear choices is wanted.

Aelfad

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

To tell you the truth, had I enough money for Axe FX, I might not need any other amp or effects unit.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I've not used one myself (SC likes his), a mate of mine tried one, he said it lacked the dynamics of a tube amp live but was good for studio stuff.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I've not used one myself (SC likes his), a mate of mine tried one, he said it lacked the dynamics of a tube amp live but was good for studio stuff.

+1

The AxeFX III is really, really good (it better be for the price!).  However it is still a modeler and will not respond exactly like a proper tube amp.  There are lots of pros touring with the AxeFX and Kemper because of convenience and reliability reasons.  The audience cannot tell the difference between those and tube amps anyway.  That all changes in the studio and in some cases, small club settings.  There the differences are more noticeable, even though a great recording engineer can compensate for those.  Studio musicians like the AxeFX or Kemper because they can quickly dial in the sounds that the engineer is looking for.

What really matters is how you feel about your MP-1/MP-2.  I certainly would not get rid of mine, even though I have a Kemper as well.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I think a somewhat important distinction in dialing in a tone with AxeFX, Kemper, Pod, whatever is that you end up dialing in a 'record' tone rather than 'live' tone.  IE: Dialing in the mic/ambience etc in addition to what you hear from a guitar amp.  It ends up having a different quality to it.

Sounds great, but in addition to the different 'feel' that none of the modellers quite have, ends up being a different sound.  Personally, I am okay with it using in ear monitors and like it, but when I try to use something like that through FRFR it never ends up feeling right or satisfying.

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

So, I ended up getting an Axe FX III and FC12 a couple of weeks ago.  OMG!

Worth every penny.

Yeah, the amps are great.  No, still not same as tube amp through cab, but *very* good and feel nice to play.  Running it pre-amp only, it's pretty hard to tell the difference when I'm running my actual 5150 III pres in to the power and cab vs using the Axe FX versions, both in sound and feel.

The effects, great also.  Seriously great.  I can actually get a flange out of it that makes me smile and not miss having my ADA flanger in the rack.  I can get that Intellifex 8 voice chorus.  The wah's feel awesome.  Nails the MXR phaser.  So yeah, fx are great.

But what really floors me is the routing capabilities.  Not only the way you can order and route effects blocks, but having 4 ins and 4 outs wherever... this thing is amazing. 

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up