Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

Speaker protection attentuator

<< < (2/2)

Kim:

--- Quote from: MarshallJMP on May 15, 2017, 09:44:49 AM ---Mmmm using a fuse to protect your speakers isn't such a good idea IMO. Maybe use a limiter between preamp and poweramp?

--- End quote ---

Having a fuse between the poweramp and speakers "might" seem like a good idea, but in reality it's a very bad idea if you're using a tube poweramp or any amp with a tube power section.  If the fuse blows, you've just unloaded the output transformer (just like not having a speaker load connected) and that also goes poof.  S.S. power sections are a little more forgiving of that, but....

As MJMP says, a limiter in there would probably be your best bet.  Better yet, pay close attention to your overall volume levels.  If the speakers are making noises that they normally shouldn't, back the overall volume down.  There is a fine line between getting the speakers  to bark a little bit with the right amount of power (especially lower-wattage rating speakers) and just overpowering them and burning them up.  Once you get some "bark" out of them, applying more power certainly won't make them sound better.

Sirion:
Thanks for the replies! It is awesome that there actually exists a forum with this sort of competence! (I tried at some other, very good forums, and got virtually nothing) I think I have found what I need:

http://zerocapcable.com/?page_id=221

Trusting one's ears is well and good, but I think an extra insurance might be a good idea too.  ;)

Now I just need to see if I can get it to Europe somehow.

Kim:

--- Quote from: Sirion on May 27, 2017, 12:57:08 AM ---I think I have found what I need:
http://zerocapcable.com/?page_id=221
Trusting one's ears is well and good, but I think an extra insurance might be a good idea too.  ;)
--- End quote ---

Now THAT is cool!    :banana-rock:
But....I'd need to have 2.   :facepalm:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version