Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

SPEAKER WIRING SCHEMATICS

<< < (6/7) > >>

Dante:
SO.....I just picked up a 2x12 cab for pretty cheap. I wanna wire it up for mono and stereo, and I have a question that I think I already know the answer to....see the diagram below, two options for a mono 8 ohm cab; 16 ohm and 4 ohm. Also options for dual 8 ohm load in stereo.

But, what happens if I wire the cab BOTH ways and plug into the mono jack? What happens if I plug into the stereo jacks? I think I'm asking for trouble because of the way it's wired to do both, you're not going to get that 16ohm load in the mono jack like you're thinking....is that correct?

btw: I can easily just leave it as a stereo cab with two jacks, I have a cab merger that will allow me to run it mono :)

Harley Hexxe:
It looks to me like you'll get the 16 ohm mono load. IF you are using all TS jacks, the ones that aren't plugged in should be shunted.

If you get any sound at all that is. Just be sure you know where your impedance is set on your amp before you plug in!

Dante:
Harley,
That's what I was thinking, except for the shunting part.

I figured the simplest way was just to wire each speaker to a jack, boom - stereo cab. I have two jacks in the cab with the wires soldered to the jacks, tied up inside to do that if I want.

Right now it's a mono 16 ohm cab, which is perfect for my lunchbox heads. I still have my two 1x12 cabs for running stereo.

Kim:
Dante, didn't I already had you covered back earlier in this thread?   

--- Quote from: Kim on November 04, 2018, 08:07:22 AM ---Here's another one I recently used to reconfigure one of my cabs.   This original post has been edited to use the Cliff jacks MJMP mentioned below.

This uses a switching jack to make the 2x12 Stereo or Mono depending on whether both jacks are uses or just one.  Here, the other non-switching jack is the Primary jack.  Plugging into the Primary jack alone gives a Mono 2x12 at 8 ohms (each speaker is 16 ohms itself).  Adding another plug to the Switch jack splits the 2x12 into Stereo at 16 ohms per side.  Note that plugging into just the non-switching jack alone will result in just one active speaker at 16 ohms.   

Be sure to clearly label the jacks as to which one is the Primary and be sure to match the impedances to your amp in regards to which jack(s) you will be using.

--- End quote ---

Dante:
I saw that diagram Kim, but I don't understand it....forgive me

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version