Non ADA Gear > Amps

Modern Sounding Power Amp for MP1

(1/3) > >>

Griphook:
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy a Power Amp for my MP1 and I thought you could help me with my decision.

I'm aiming for a modern sound, so I don't think I'd be happy with a Marshall.
I also admit that I never really compared SS with TubeAmps. Is there a huge difference between those kind of PowerAmps?
I doubt that anything less than 2x50 Watts will provide enough headroom.

So my current choices are:
ENGL 840/50
ENGL 920/50
Reußenzehn GuitarSlave
Mesa Fifty/Fifty
Carvin Ts100

My budget is Maximum 550€ so a VHT is a bit over the top...
Has anyone any experiences with those Amps. Any Pros/Cons, other suggestions?

Thanks in advance  :)

tomy:
Hi griph !

I'm playing on ada microtube 100 & Marshall 9200 (5881). Those amps are not in your list, but anyway if any advice is needed send a PM

TG

Griphook:
The Microtubes seem to be a nice pick, but they are pretty rare. I didn't spot even a single one in the last few months, so it didnt' make it onto my list.

The Marshall 9200 is a HUUUGE Amp with too much Power I think. But as I said, I assume a Marshall won't fit my sound so the smaller 9100 will not help on this  :(

rnolan:
Hey Griphook, there's quite a few to pick from depending what you want but I can talk to 3 possibilities (BTW there are quit a few other post about this if you dig around here).
For ADA MP1/2 you need a good reliable clean transparent poweramp with enough gusto for your needs. Tube amps seem to give more bang for the same watts in my experience so tube amp 50w per side, SS 100 w per side.
ADA B200s great amp, perfect for MP1/2 but getting old. I used mine for many years and Mike still uses the first one I bought in his MP1 rig. These do 120 ish w per side into 4 ohms, probably around 100 per side into 8 ohms. SS amp, heavy but no where near as heavy as a tube poweramp.
Carvin TS100, this is my current poweramp, great amp, you can use it to power studio cross reference monitors. All tube, weighs a tone (we call it "the brick"). 50 w per side, which I've found to be ample (and I don't play soft  >:D ), easy switch between 4, 8 and 16 ohm (as has output transformers). Can run in 100 w bridge mode, available with 6L6 or EL34 power tubes. New, modern, reliable and has presence knob for each channel (which I never use..). I really like this amp but it weighs allot (as do all tube amps)
Carvin DCM200L, 1 RU super light, SS with switching power supply, 100w per side, loudness button (they call room eq IIRC), new, modern, again can be used to power studio cross reference monitors (notice a theme here LoL), much cheaper than TS100 and a fraction of the weight. I'm considering one of these for a smaller (easy to carry) rack setup.

The ADA MT100 and 200 are hybrid amps, they use tubes to control the output transistors, nice amps but again getting old. I had a US voltage MT100 for a short while, it didn't do it for me so I swapped it with Dante for his B200s.

There are other amps around, many "optimised" for guitar, MP1/2 don't need to be optimised by the power amp.

Griphook:

--- Quote from: rnolan on February 10, 2016, 02:37:09 AM ---Carvin TS100, this is my current poweramp, great amp, you can use it to power studio cross reference monitors. All tube, weighs a tone (we call it "the brick"). 50 w per side, which I've found to be ample (and I don't play soft  >:D ), easy switch between 4, 8 and 16 ohm (as has output transformers). Can run in 100 w bridge mode, available with 6L6 or EL34 power tubes. New, modern, reliable and has presence knob for each channel (which I never use..). I really like this amp but it weighs allot (as do all tube amps)
Carvin DCM200L, 1 RU super light, SS with switching power supply, 100w per side, loudness button (they call room eq IIRC), new, modern, again can be used to power studio cross reference monitors (notice a theme here LoL), much cheaper than TS100 and a fraction of the weight.

There are other amps around, many "optimised" for guitar, MP1/2 don't need to be optimised by the power amp.

--- End quote ---

Is it just for the versatility that you can use these amps for studio monitoring or are you really using them for this purpose?
Can you spot a huge Sound difference between SS and Tube Amps?

So I believe a linear amp will work out to get the most "original" sound?

Thanks for the great Input R and tomy :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version