ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: First time MP1 owner  (Read 4678 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: First time MP1 owner
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Hey BJ,

Absolutely the MP-1 does a great Marshall tone, several of them in fact. It can also do pretty convincing Fender, G-K, Mesa, Rockman, Roland, and even rival the occasional Soldano too.

That's been the most appealing quality of ADA gear to me. Having all those different tones in one machine means I don't need to rent a moving van every time I want to play a gig.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Lyates1987

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hey BJ,

Absolutely the MP-1 does a great Marshall tone, several of them in fact. It can also do pretty convincing Fender, G-K, Mesa, Rockman, Roland, and even rival the occasional Soldano too.

That's been the most appealing quality of ADA gear to me. Having all those different tones in one machine means I don't need to rent a moving van every time I want to play a gig.

Harley 8)

Indeed, you can do a lot with this thing. The range of clean tones it provides is uncanny to any thing else I've messed with. I need to do a cap job on it for sure but everything works correctly. The only thing negative is the high pitched screech when the gain is up. I've found a few places searcing online that do recaps and other services specific to the MP1. Is there any one on the forum that does any kind of refresh service for MP1s here? I found a guy on ebay that does it for $150 +shipping but I have yet to discuss it with him but the reviews seem fairly credible. I also found a guy on the gear page (fdesalvo) and messaged him but have not heard back. I'm not exactly in a rush (to spend money) but I'll like to have that done one of these days and preferrably with a solid tried and true individual/company.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Hey BJ,

The MP-1 is a bit over my head to do a cap job myself, so I'm going to send my MP-1's to MJMP to have him do all the mods as well. They should be some pretty aggressive beasts when they come back.

That high pitched squeal is something I get once in a while with certain high gain settings on some of my preamps. I think it's more to do with the tubes than anything else. Of course, I could be wrong about that. I do get that on a couple of my Classic's high gain settings.

Harley 8)

Lyates1987

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey BJ,

The MP-1 is a bit over my head to do a cap job myself, so I'm going to send my MP-1's to MJMP to have him do all the mods as well. They should be some pretty aggressive beasts when they come back.

That high pitched squeal is something I get once in a while with certain high gain settings on some of my preamps. I think it's more to do with the tubes than anything else. Of course, I could be wrong about that. I do get that on a couple of my Classic's high gain settings.

Harley 8)

Mine came with Ruby stamped JJ 12ax7. I took those out and stuck in a couple JJ ecc803s (long plate) just to see what would happen but it was still there. The 803s are maybe a few years old. I'm going to get some Mullard re-issues and throw them in there. They sound great in my jcm2000 and evh 5150 6l6. I've read they sound great in MP1s too so that the current ideal route.  I guess i'll ask MJMP about a refresh. I'm currently not looking to mod it, however, that may change in the future, but right now i'd like to have that screech noise reduced but all in all it's actually not a very noisy unit at all (beside the screech at higher gain) For 30+ year old rack preamp.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey BJ,

I use the Mullards in my MP-2's, and I've had them in the original MP-1 as well as the Classic's. They're great tubes, no doubt. The only preamp I haven't tried them in is my MB-1, but I'll get around to that as soon as I get another Bass guitar, because I have the full ADA Bass Rig ;)

I am currently rolling a few different brands of tubes in the ADA's to see if I like what I hear better, (Gold Lion, TAD, EHX, Mullard, JJ, and a few NOS tubes I have laying around). Eventually, I'll settle on the right combination.

I definitely like the long plate tubes in the MP-1 Classic and the MP-2.

If you take care of these preamps, they'll probably last forever.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I put the Mullard long plates in both my MB-1s, they are great.  So now I use them in all my ADA preamps (MP-1, MP-2 and MB-1)  :whoohoo!:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Lyates1987

« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey BJ,

I use the Mullards in my MP-2's, and I've had them in the original MP-1 as well as the Classic's. They're great tubes, no doubt. The only preamp I haven't tried them in is my MB-1, but I'll get around to that as soon as I get another Bass guitar, because I have the full ADA Bass Rig ;)

I am currently rolling a few different brands of tubes in the ADA's to see if I like what I hear better, (Gold Lion, TAD, EHX, Mullard, JJ, and a few NOS tubes I have laying around). Eventually, I'll settle on the right combination.

I definitely like the long plate tubes in the MP-1 Classic and the MP-2.

If you take care of these preamps, they'll probably last forever.

Harley 8)

I'm curious as to which tubes you end up settling with. For me the Mullards bring out more of a classic gain tone that has some sparkle to it and I love it. When I got my evh 5153 6l6 it came with some blank JJs stock. The red channel was just absolutely waayyyyyy too mauch gain for my taste. Even the blue channel was too much and it would have a some fizz when I'd go past 2.5 or higher on the gain. After a lot of research I found a really good combination of tubes that not only tamed the red and blue channels a bit but really made them shine and cut the fizz. V1 I went with a highly recommended tung sol for what I was looking for but I went with the mullard reissue for the rest of the spots that weren't for a cathode follower or PI. One day I swapped the JJs back in, just where I put the mullards and it was almost night and day. Those JJs just made it thin and fizzy. If you're guitar strings weren't fresh you'd know about it. The mullard re-issues are where it's at for me. Really looking forward to getting those in my MP1. I'm gonna take real good care of this baby. it's getting a cap job soon.

Lyates1987

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

I put the Mullard long plates in both my MB-1s, they are great.  So now I use them in all my ADA preamps (MP-1, MP-2 and MB-1)  :whoohoo!:

Mullards FTW!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Hey BJ.

I'm still buying tubes and trying them out, so I haven't really settled on any specific combinations yet. When I do find something that really twirls my beany, I'll post the results.

In the mean time, I would strongly suggest you take a look in the "All Things Tube" discussions in the forum here, and see what some of the other members like. After all, taste is subjective, and what may sound good to me, may not sound as good to you. Just like water, everyone seeks their own level. You may get some good ideas from those discussions.

http://adadepot.com/index.php?board=40.0

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

@Lyates1987, send me an email if you want more info.

@Harley, have you ever tried mullards in a 3TM?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Hey BJ,

I have a trio of Mullards in there now, all long plates, but I may swap out on of them for a short plate to see how it reacts.

Speaking of the 3TM, I can tell from your posts, you wouldn't be a fan of that one. It's TONS of gain saturation! It doesn't do clean tube tones at all.

I did try one and then two of the ECC803's in it, but I didn't like it. It lost clarity, and sounded too muddy.

I recently got in some Genalex Gold Lion tubes with medium plates. I may give one or two of those a try in it. Right now, I'm trying those out in one of my MP-2's.

My email is in my profile.

Harley 8)

Lyates1987

« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

@Lyates1987, send me an email if you want more info.

@Harley, have you ever tried mullards in a 3TM?

Thank you! Will do!

Lyates1987

« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey BJ.

I'm still buying tubes and trying them out, so I haven't really settled on any specific combinations yet. When I do find something that really twirls my beany, I'll post the results.

In the mean time, I would strongly suggest you take a look in the "All Things Tube" discussions in the forum here, and see what some of the other members like. After all, taste is subjective, and what may sound good to me, may not sound as good to you. Just like water, everyone seeks their own level. You may get some good ideas from those discussions.

http://adadepot.com/index.php?board=40.0

Harley 8)

Oh thank you man! Nothing like a new wormhole!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up