ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo  (Read 4559 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante,

I'm glad you figured out a way to make it work, but it still makes me scratch my head wondering why it won't respond to the MXC. After all, it's still just your basic MIDI controller. That's weird.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I don't get it either - at least I knew that the amp was on midi channel 1 with the MXC, that solved half the mystery. No idea why the CC numbers wouldn't jive....it's possible the CC numbers are different for the Switchblade than they are for the Grandmeister series (I was referencing the Grandmeister 36 manual).  :dunno:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

From what I can read in the switchblade manual is that it doesn't respond to midi CC only program change??

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Ahh, well that explains it  :facepalm: .  Can you have lots of different HK patches with different fx ?  Not as cool but workable...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I found out (while doing research to get this thing to work) that I have the original (old style) Switchblade. They came out with a new circuit later when they added the TSC versions (a Tube Status Checker I think)...it could be that my amp simply doesn't take the CC #s, but subsequent versions do. The amp tech told me that may be an issue - the later ones are more computer than amp (he says).

So, I'm using the MS-3 just like I do with the Peavey except I have 4 amp channels at my disposal (instead of 2) and I'm using the midi cable to switch patches instead of an instrument cable. I can still hit the Manual button to access stombox mode and add a delay or whatever.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I have the service manual for these and had a look around, mostly solid state preamp and one ECC83 to "warm up" the sound so no real tube distortion and a full tube power amp. DSP chip for the effects and 3 ATMEGA 8 bit µcontrollers for all the "computing"

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Yes...it's an old thread that I'm reviving - HAIL THE NECROTHREAD....sorry

Anyways, I (finally) got to play a gig with the H&K switchblade combo. I must say, I have no complaints (other than picking the damn thing up...it's heavy and I'm getting older every day).

After the gig, I was ready to sell the amp for a H&K Black Spirit Floor (its a pedal board version of my switchblade amp with a 200w amp built in!) because the combo is so big and heavy....But, now that I think of it, the widebody combo amp really fills the room better than my two 1x12 cabs. Plus, it was perfectly reliable at the gig and I never went near it to adjust anything.

I find 1x12 cabs to be very directional, I call it 'beamy' because it's like a beam of light shooting straight out (only, it's sound, not light). I find this to be true with all the 1x12 cabs I've had; open back, closed back, and ported. Great for recording, kinda okay for live stuff.

The fact that I never went near the amp's controls says a LOT. I can't really remember a time that I left the amp alone all night...but I don't remember much, I admit. Still, the amp sounds good and really fills the room with sound without killing small birds nearby. I really only have to lift the dang thing to put it into the rolling case and put that case into my car...so, I'm not carrying it. And, the rolling case makes a great amp stand

With all that in mind, I guess I should just hang onto the bigass combo and call it good. No sense fixing what ain't broke.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, looks like a cool combo  :thumb-up: , and really, not that much to lug, particularly compared to a rack setup.  I've kind of got down to 1 rack and a slant split stack wired stereo, although the most recent gig I took my 8 RU rack, a 2 RU case (Carvin TS100) and my 2 Mesa P112s (12 + tweeter) cabs (and used the cab emulated outs on the MP-2).  I'd like a Quad tube combo but none came to Australia (as far as I know).  I keep thinking to make one with one of my MP-2's, one day I'll do it.

RG did quite a few posts ages ago re how "beamy" his cabs were.  IIRC he found some disperser stuff/foam? he could put in front of the speakers so they would spread out and not be so beamy.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Richard,

See? That's how much stuff I don't wanna carry...been doing it for too long already.

There is a thing out there called the 'beam blocker' for dispersing sound from a speaker. Pretty much a piece of foam with a hole in the middle - easy enough to make. I have no idea if they work though...never tried it out.

Yes, one bigass combo is not much to drag. Plus, it's on wheels...so I should not complain. Still less stuff than a rack, pedals, two 1x12 speaker cabs. Plus, the combo is reliable, and not as delicate as my old rack gear. It is about as close as I can get to an ADA...in that it's programmable.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante,

I totally get it. The rack gear I've got isn't going anywhere unless someone is offering big money for me to move that around and set it up. Plus, like you said, it's getting delicate and I'd rather not anyway. (I'm not getting younger either).
    People here are so squeamish when it comes to words like 'programmable,' or 'racks.' I don't find any problems with it, especially when it works, it sounds good, and it's reliable gig after gig. That's why I did what I did with my Fenders.

In reading your post, I'm guessing the H&K has some pretty decent tones in it, and like me, you're a tone-junkie >:D Neither one of us would plunk down our hard-earned cash for gear that sounds like lukewarm diarrhea on a paper plate. But if you think about it, all of us here at the Depot are like that. One of the most relevant reasons we like our ADA gear so much is because of it's flexibility. ADA gave us the ability to get a bunch of great amp tones all in one little box, without having to bring a moving van full of amplifiers to a gig. Your H&K and my Fenders do the same thing, but they are in combo amp form. We just have to dial them in according to the limitations of the combo amps.
   Also like you, and I didn't realize this until you said it, every time I've taken the Fenders out to a gig, once I've set the volume level, I never touch the amp after that either. So, that IS a pretty big deal. In my case, I can take one, two, or all three amps to a gig, and get great tones with them, especially now since I figured a way to blend the two rigs together, and add dimension to my guitar tones.

As far as weight goes, I can't really complain about how much the Fenders weigh. they are all about the same weight as my Vibrolux Reverb, which is the lightest of my tube amps, and I'm thinking about getting another Cyber-Deluxe just to pull the Vibrolux out of the mix. It's not that I don't like the Vibrolux anymore, but it is a tube amp that will be 50 years old next year. Tubes wear out, sockets get worn, and it will need to be serviced soon with new caps and tubes just like both of my old Twins. Since the CD is still around at cheap prices, why not? It would also be a good backup for the original CD I have. I can upload my programs via MIDI to it, and if the main one goes down, All I have to do is switch the Expansion cabling and go!

Programmable amps give you so many options that you just don't get from a singular toned amplifier.

Just my two cents

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

PREACH!!

I think we were so dang spoiled with our racks back in the day, it was easy to get great tones. Then, the market shifted to gigantic floorboards full of stompboxes, the rack stuff disappeared, modeling gear came along and never impressed me. The only modeling gear I have is my V-Wah, and only because I like having 4 wahs and and a Rotovibe in one pedal. I digress....

There are other options out there (multi effects units etc.), but most don't even have a single tube...so the tones are less than stellar, but good enough for a weekend hack musician. I'm glad to have a 'tube amp' of sorts (really, a hybrid) with tubey tones and the programmability.

I'd be happy to cart around a 4u rack rig instead though, if I could really trust it. To this day, I bring a Crate Powerblock amp and my Tech 21 RK5 Flyrig pedal in case my rack rig ever dies at a gig (again).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Reliability has been more and more on my mind as my gear gets older.  That said, it's never missed a beat, and my MP-1 before the MP-2 never missed a beat either  :thumb-up: .  Fortunately I'm only doing the occasional gig but this new band is starting to get some legs... 
Once set up my only minor adjustment is power amp vol once everyone settles down (or they tell I'm too loud  >:D ).

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

For the most part, my preamps aren't what gives me grief with my rack gear, it's usually the poweramps in my case that fail on one side or the other

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

My power amps have been pretty solid, my preamps seem to not like getting thrown around much (what's up with that?)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

The only time I had a preamp fail at a gig was about 10 years ago, and it was my MP-1. It turned out the Groove Tubes that were in it just decided that then would be a good time to die. They were the GT Mullards if I recall correctly. Other than that, no real issues with preamps that I didn't cause myself. (I have to quit hot-plugging things in my gear).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up