ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello From SoCal Hell -Update: partial rig pic added in thread-  (Read 2862 times)

GuitarJesus

Greetings everyone!

Jeff here.  Been looking at a ADA MP-1 setup for years, but never got one for plenty of reasons: mortgage, kids, student loans, etc.  I'm in the market and gonna pull the trigger. 

I have a simple rig, couple of early 70's Strats, custom builts, going into either a 65 Super Reverb, or a little Silvertone 6 watt Champ style 50's fake tweed amp.  I'll post pics when I can.

I do see some things I have no idea about though.  There is an MP-1, and Classic.  Big differences?  Also, there is the 3 tube mod?  What is that, and does it change the overall tone or just give you more saturation on tap if you want it?

Hope to hear from lots of you!

Jeff
« Last Edit: Time Format by GuitarJesus »
Signal Chain:  1973 Fender EVH-ized Stratocaster-->ADA MP1-->ADA Digitizer 4-->ADA MicroCab-->MT-200-->1978 Marshall 1960a 4x12.

The name says Jesus, call me Jeff

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Hello From SoCal Hell
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Jeff, welcome to the depot, I see Dante got you registered  :thumb-up: , excellent. 

The MP-1 was the first midi programmable tube stereo rack mount preamp ADA made.  3 voicings Dist tube, Clean tube and SS (solid state cleans), active eq (bass, mid, treb, pres) mono series fx loop, stereo chorus... 
They also made lots of other things we never got nor really heard about in Australia (combos, pedals, rack fx etc.) 
Later they made the MP-2, with lots of extra goodies, 10 tube voices (no SS), wah, tremolo, stereo parallel fx loop, stereo chorus, noise gate, cab sim recording outs, midi continuous control (CC), macros..   
Seems many found the MP-2 too complicated (I loved it and now use MP-2) so they made the MP-1 classic. 
The MP-1 classic goes back to being more simple like the MP-1 voice wise (albeit different sounding to the original) but kept some of the MP-2 additions e.g. stereo parallel fx loop, cab sim outs, maybe CC control?.  I'm not sure how long after that ADA had a fire and went bust but the Classics never came to Australia, and they are harder to find (and a prick to work on is my understanding). 
The 3TM mod is an extra tube for the original MP-1, 1 more triode gain stage and a cathode follower.  Popular with those who wanted more gain (IMHO it had heaps of gain already but some wanted more  >:D , (then the MP-2 has sooo much gain, lots more than the stock MP-1..and needs the built in noise gate to tame it)).  So the metal guys like the 3TM, but you loose the Clean tube voicing, not so clean anymore. 
The majority of mods developed were for the MP-1 for various reasons, check out Schematics & Modifications http://adadepot.com/index.php?board=22.0

Hope you find a good one for a decent price  :thumb-up: .  IIRC you are in Europe? so need a 230v model.  ADA preamps are all country voltage specific i.e. US 120v, Japan 110v, Europe/Australia/UK 230v.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Jeff

Welcome to the depot!!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Jeff,

Welcome to the Forum!

No CC control in the MP-1 Classic, it's very basic like the original MP-1, but with an added tube voice which they call "Brown"

It does have a built in noise gate too like the MP-2 but much smoother. Also, the Classic has more of a vintage tube tone, but can be tweaked to get into heavy gain saturation. It's a great preamp, but as Richard stated, they are harder to find. It was the last rack mounted preamp ADA made before they vanished in '96.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

GuitarJesus

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

IIRC you are in Europe? so need a 230v model.  ADA preamps are all country voltage specific i.e. US 120v, Japan 110v, Europe/Australia/UK 230v.

No sir, in Southern California, frying my A$$ off.
Signal Chain:  1973 Fender EVH-ized Stratocaster-->ADA MP1-->ADA Digitizer 4-->ADA MicroCab-->MT-200-->1978 Marshall 1960a 4x12.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Welcome to the funhouse, Jeff. I do NOT miss SoCal, but lemme tell ya, NorCal is just as hot and I'm jamming with friends tomorrow in a garage - forecast for triple digits (yay)

So...you're preachin' to the choir - haha

I have the elusive Classic and it is just as described...an MP-1 like interface (fast and easy to program) with some extra bells & whistles. Unfortunately, they are a Biatch to work on and I've ruined one already  :facepalm:  I am not proud of my actions

Now, I use the Classic and the MP-2 direct into the board if I use them at all. I have a 'high end' cover band that plays at nicer venues than your local biker bar, so I'll take the rack to one of those gigs....sometimes. They sound tons better, but they are too delicate for me to relax & play, so I typically gig with other amps (others in here do that too).

SEND PIX! we love pics of all kinds of guitar related stuff...gear, preamps, etc. Here's a pic of my MP-2 rig with my power amp sitting on top (for practicing with speakers).

Note: I resized the pic to 1,000 pixels wide to make it easier to view...sometimes, people post a 5,000 pixel image that comes in like a closeup of a billboard

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey Jeff, sorry I didn't get the SoCal reference until Dante pointed it out.  So you need a US 120v version or one with the MDRT transformer mod.  The MDRT can be wired 230v or 120v.  It does change the sound, really opens up the MP-1s dynamics.

GuitarJesus

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Here's what I'm working with for the time being.  I have a 78 Marshall 1960 4x12 and a 1971 Marshall 1982b 4x12, along with a 1972 Super Lead and 2 Blackface Bandmasters that see no use anymore.  I'll post some more when I get it all together.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey Jeff,

Some nice looking Strats you've got there. What's that combo?

The Bandmasters can be some very cool amps when tweaked a little. I'm kind of sorry at times, that I sold all mine off.

GuitarJesus

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

That's an all original 1965 Super Reverb.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Jeff, nice guitars  :thumb-up: .  And some very cool amps

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

OH yeah!

Those are some killer amps too!

GuitarJesus

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Add a Microtube 200 to my gear list now...just need to find a good deal on an MP-1!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: , hopefully you can find a good MP-1 that's not too expensive.

GuitarJesus

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I want an Ampulator too.

Once I have the Trifecta, I'll get gear to start plugging into my computer.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up