Miscellaneous > Rants & Raves

What's a Cafe Racer?

(1/5) > >>

Dante:
In another (unrelated) post, MJMP asked me what a Cafe Racer was...

Here's the story (pretty close to how I heard it)

Café Racers (originally pronounced “caff” racers) were born out of the Ace Cafe in London. The patrons would put a coin in the jukebox, race around a circuit on their motorbikes and try to beat the song back to to the cafe before it finished. This developed a style of bike called Café Racers

Since there were no "race bikes" back then, they started doing everything possible to make their bikes faster. Engine upgrades, suspension upgrades, tires, etc. They'd also strip the bike down to it's very frame. So, you're left with a minimalist bike that's nothing but a frame with wheels on the ends and a motor in the middle.

Here are some before & after shots of my bike - I need to take some updated pix that are at the same angles as the 'before' shots

MarshallJMP:
Ah ok I see, must say never heard of these before.

Dante:
I like to ride sport bikes, always wanted to build a Cafe Racer...finally did it and I'm pleased with the look

I'm battling these carbs...she is not running great, but she is a big, fast gal

MarshallJMP:
What is the problem with the carbs?

Dante:
They're not native to the bike, so I have to get them jetted correctly in order to work at all. I put after market Mikuni racing carbs on...because they're cool looking...I'm a poser - haha

I had the bike running pretty rich (too much gas) and started rejetting to compensate for that. In the process, I may have fouled my spark plugs one too many times, so I have new plugs...but my wire boots are too small...bigger boots on the way.

Once I have my spark plug wires back together, I can see if the new spark plugs help me get her started easier

The jetting is a puzzle. Pilot jet to handle the idle and 'slow' riding. Needle Jet and Carb Needle to handle the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle range. Main Jet to handle the Full Open Throttle (FOT). The thing is, when you change the main jet, it affects the needle and the needle jet...so that may change again later too. Fun fun

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version