ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't know where to begin  (Read 3467 times)

skarkowtsky

Re: I don't know where to begin
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

I spent some time on the forum last night and came across a thread about pre-amp tubes and configurations that work best in the MP-1. Harley, you even commented in that thread.

So, I don't think I've set up my MP-1 for its full potential. I had a pair of Eden 7025 (re-branded Ruby) in V1 and V2, but after reading that thread, it seems a 7025 in V2 isn't ideal (something about gummy bass). I already have the tubes on hand, so it's worth a try. I’m also open to trying a Tung Sol 12ax7 or Ruby 12ax7AC5 (which the amp tech recommended) in V1.

I don’t have the original Chinese tubes which that forum post suggested for V2, but I do have the JJs. So, I’ll try that in V2 to see if it helps my tone. Unless you guys recommend something else for V2?

The more reviews I listen to, the more convinced I become that the 75 Creamback is the right speaker for me. So, I'm going to pump the brakes and try some practical changes. EMGs, pre-amp tubes and Creamback. If I can get the tone right, I'll make the jump to the 2x12 down the road.
« Last Edit: Time Format by skarkowtsky »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey John,

Yes sir, I did. A lot of us have tried different tubes and combinations in our preamps, and some of us have found the perfect tones while for others like me, the quest for chasing tones is ongoing. I still try rolling different tubes in my preamps to see what I can get out of them. Sometimes the results are interesting, other times, I tell myself I should just leave weird enough alone.

For the most part, I really like how Mullard RI's sound in my preamps but I've been experimenting with them and JJ ECC803's in my MP-1 Classic as well as my MP-2. ( Not really too thrilled with them in the MP-2). I've also tried Gold Lion with Mullards, in the MP-1 and the MP-1 Classic, and that's yielded some interesting tones. I swap them between V1 and V2 to see if I like one setup better than the other. Tube rolling is fun.

You can't get real Tung-Sols anymore unless you take out a second mortgage, these are just re-branded JJ's I believe. I was just checking out some info on a new tube company in China and TAD is getting some of these tubes in for consumer use. So far, the reviews are looking good. You might look into some tubes from them. They are pretty well matched and graded.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

skarkowtsky

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Thanks for heads up on Tung Sol!

I did the test last night, and it appears either one of the two JJs and one of the two 7025s might be slightly microphonic (per the light tapping on the tube test). Both tubes had the very slightest glass/springy sound when tapped, but only in V2! Maybe they’re ok and it’s the MP-1? I checked and the socket seems secured to the tube board, contacts looked good. No microphonics through the speaker. A little more feedback than usual when the 7025 was in V2 but has since been removed.

So, I swapped both out to be safe, and found the good 7025 in V1 and good JJ in V2 to be the best combination with what I have on hand. However, the tone is still crap. I’m pretty convinced it’s the Redback, but it’s tax season in the US and the Creamback is on hold for a bit.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

The Tung Sols are Russian, (Assembled by hand in the Reflektor factory in Saratov, Russia), they are part of the New Sensor collection like the Mullards.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Hey John,

It's not uncommon for preamp tubes to be slightly microphonic, especially in the ADA preamps. When they become extremely sensitive then, it'll be an issue. Finding really good quality tubes is harder than it used to be, and it's going to get worse before it gets better, considering all that's going on in the world these days. Just hang in there and don't give up.

Harley 8)
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

skarkowtsky

« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Just thought I’d share after exhausting all my at-home testing, I sold the MP-1 and Carvin. The expenses of buying and testing, etc, etc just turned me off. I’m selling the rest of my vintage rack, cabinet and speaker.

It’s time for me to buy new for once, fresh out of the box. I’m picking up a Marshall SC20C (JCM800) and some classic Boss pedals. That little combo is more than I need at home, and sounds amazing.

Thanks for all your help, and take care!

John

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Hey John, sorry it didn't work out for you and good luck with the new rig
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up