Non ADA Gear > Basses

New Bass Day

<< < (6/6)

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Richard,

Ah hah! I gotcha now. The first records we buy always seems to make a much bigger impact on our psyche than we care to admit. I remember when I went shopping for records for the first time, I knew what I wanted. I wanted Jimi Hendrix, Atomic Rooster, and Steppenwolf. Hendrix was completely sold out, so I ended up getting Steppenwolf Monster, Atomic Rooster, Death Walks Behind You, Led Zeppelin II, Iron Butterfly, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, and Johnny Winter And, Live.
            I remember Johnny Winter's live versions of Jumpin' Jack Flash, and Johnny B Good, blew me away. In fact, Johnny Winter's version of Jumpin' Jack Flash was the first version I learned to play, and the Stones version seemed lethargic to me after that  :lol: I loved the energy, and since I was noticing a lot of improvement in my guitar playing at that point in time, I wanted to catch up to those guys.
            I didn't hear of Slade until a couple of years later.

Harley 8)

Peter H. Boer:

--- Quote from: Harley Hexxe on May 11, 2021, 06:09:55 PM ---Hey Peter,

You got me thinking now....

Do you have a bass with flatwounds on it? If so, is it active?  I'm wondering what an active bass would sound like with flat wound strings, or how that would change it's personality from round wound strings?

Maybe you can shed a little light on that subject?

Thanks,

Harley 8)

--- End quote ---
Hey Harley,

All my bass guitars (all 9) have round wounds on them, I'm always going for the raspy grind thing.
All my basses have passive pups, only some have active electronics.
In the studio I only use passive.

My upright and my EUB have flatwounds and active electronics.

Bass on  8)

Peter

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Peter,

So you do lose all that mid-range growl with flat wound strings then, bummer.

Okay, so I'll build the Jazz Bass with passive pups, but I'll try some experimentation with different pups, and tone stacks.

From the conversations posted here with Richard, you can see one of the bass tones I'm looking for. It's nice to have that flexibility.
       I can almost get it with the Precision, but not quite. I'll experiment more with the EQ and blend controls.

Thanks for the advice, it helps a lot. I haven't really focused on the bass tone as much as I should have before now, but this bass guitar is changing all that.

Harley 8)

Peter H. Boer:

--- Quote from: Harley Hexxe on June 05, 2021, 04:27:38 AM ---Hey Peter,

So you do lose all that mid-range growl with flat wound strings then, bummer.

--- End quote ---

Some of it, but Steve Harris has plenty of clatter (though that's mostly highs) and he plays flatwounds exclusively (has done always)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version