ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Australia!!  (Read 5526 times)

gb

Hello from Australia!!
« on: Time Format »

Hi all

well thank fk this site is back up and running. I wasnt well known from the old site however i have an ada depot shirt and cap i bought from (cant remember who organised it) a few years back .. and i missed the site!! I sold all my heads when i found my ada mp1. I only came to find the site again while i was researching and trying to work out what im doing wrong with my ada mp1 and mp2 (thank you marshalljmp for finding this for me!!) as when i crank my power amp they both sound thin and lost in the band but at low volumes it sounds perfect and my rhythm guitarists DSL50 head is shitting all over my ada mp1 or mp2 +VHT2902+marshall cab config. i got feedback today that i sound thin and too thrashy/fuzzy and not "clean" distorted considering im the lead! probably not for discussion here so i will start a new topic.

Thank you for coming back!!!
« Last Edit: Time Format by gb »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Hello from Australia!!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey GB

Welcome back,let us know more of the problem you have and we'll all try to help out.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey GB, nice to have you back and totally share your sentiments regarding the depot forum  :thumb-up: , I'm in Canberra and happy to help anyway I can  ;)
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Welcome Back GB!!

It warms my heart to see this place thriving again. I can't keep up with all the activity in here!! Very cool.

I'm just really glad I figured out how to do it  :lol:

gb

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!:

thanks guys! seriously glad the site is up and running.. many times i would check or search what happened to it etc.

Ive posted in the MP1 section. Perhaps i am treating my rack setup although simple, like a head. Im only just realising i have presence and depth controls on my power amp ASWELL as on the preamps .. and the preamps also have an output ASWELL as volume for OD1 and OD2 AND a Master so perhaps i dont have everything setup correctly or not understanding how 1 thing affects something else.

I noticed my MP2 was really ear piercingly harsh on the cleans on the high strings.. horrible then i released my presence on the power amp was all the way up and the same on the MP2 .. so now ive dropped all the colouring on the power amp and only use it for volume and let the preamp to do its thing. Sounds dull and muffled at low volumes but i would imagine as it gets louder it will open up the tonality.

I love both my preamps, at low volumes but i cant maintain that tone at loud volumes i just get washed out. Ill try find some audio to post so you can hear how the dsl50 has that presence over my tinny sound.

Once i nail this .. then next ill be hammering for help with midi and footswitches (i have a boss me50 and a rocktron midimate) and im usually good at this stuff but its doing my head in and i think i need a tutorial and handson training on how to make it work! lol

I think the MP2 is really going to be versatile with what i want to do onstage with boosting the volume for solos and things like that and the cleans are perfect for the songs we play.

rock on!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Hey GB, with both the MP1 and MP2 it helps if you create your patches at stage volume then turn them down for home.  When you run them up soft they can sound quite different at volume, once you've got them ballpark you can tinker with them during (loud) rehearsal.  Seems you've discovered the best way to run MP1/MP2 is through a clean transparent power amp and let the pre-amp do it's thing.  I use the ADA MXC pedal with my MP2 (and rack) and have the continuous control pedal set to master volume.  Try the rhythm patch I posted in the MP2 patch settings.  This is a live (loud) patch, not too distorted (good for rock/R&B etc).  I use it for rhythm and lead and control the volume with the pedal.  If I want an over the top lead sound I use my old rhythm sound (also posted), it needs the noise gate when you crank it.
I know what you mean about the midi stuff, it can be a head f#ck.  I'm trying to get the guy I sold my MP1 to to post my old patches (which he hasn't changed).  They were run up/developed over many rehearsals/gigs all at stage volume.  Also experiment with the MP2 room knob, I find it very useful when changing from stage to home etc.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

gb

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

cheers mate!. Yes alot of what you have mention is what im suspecting and im not giving up just yet!!

MarshallJMP, was kind enough to find me an MP2 and i just love it. I am trying to find the ada pedals but its proving to be quite difficult so i will just try use my midi pedals i have and he also suggested the Boss FV500H for wah and volume and the feature where i can boost for solo and then go back to rhythm.

they both can do the "80's hair band" sounds perfectly its just trying to get "those" same sounds at high volume. Im learning how OD1 and OD2 shape each other and having them on high levels each is not necessarily what you need. so yes lots of playing and i have looked at the patches in the patch section and will definately be giving them a go and checking them out.

I wont bombard with too many questions. baby steps.. get the sound right at loud volumes first then i can learn how to switch between patches etc via MIDI.

There appears to be many areas for volumes and outputs so im still learning the correct method. I thought it was to set it up at low volume and then you just increase the output to the power amp and then the power amp volume knob for the "loudness" expecting it to carry the same tone through out ..

PS.. highly inappropriate!! but does anyone have a PDF of the guitar tab book for firehouse - reach for the sky and all she wrote.. online tabs are not correct and mismatched and i dont have time to work it out at home with everything else going on.
« Last Edit: Time Format by gb »
Pages: [1]   Go Up