Miscellaneous > Discussions

what do you use to practice listening to music?

(1/4) > >>

El Chiguete:
So what do you use to practice listening to music? I'm talking for moderate levels to play along songs or dvd concerts. Do you use a home theater, power power speakers, studio monitors, what???

Peter H. Boer:
3 things:
Living room: good old fashioned hifi equipment (Big speakers, tubedriven CD player, recordplayer)
Studio: Studio monitors
Car: carstereo

Dante:
I usually practice with some crappy computer speakers (sub+satellites) when learning or practicing. My iTunes has all the songs, so it's easy to just select what I need and create a playlist, then just go through it a hundred times until I no longer have to think.

thinking is highly overrated

Rodney_g:
Good headphones or powered studio monitors are going to get you the most detailed/accurate sound reproduction.
If you're listening off of anything other than a record, a Superaudio CD or a DVD, it can be kind of a waste, as so much gets lost in the compression.
If you're trying to figure out something really layered or complex, like Dream Theater or something, the extra detail can help.

You'd be amazed at what you hear when put things through a decent set of monitors...
It can kinda ruin a song though, as it can expose poor mixing or cheesy effects that sounded okay on less detailed speakers.

MarshallJMP:
Rodney,you're absolutly right.I bought some good studio monitors last year and you can hear alot more details.Ideal to do some guitar practice,especially when you wanna do some cover songs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version